Bacteria Buffet - videos

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Thomas Ashcraft

Bacteria Buffet - videos

Post by Thomas Ashcraft »

Litonotus feeding at a possible "bacteria swarm ring" : 400x phase contrast : (still image extracted from video)

I am beginning to assemble and post videos that I shot of activities at what I am calling "bacteria swarm rings." (I am not sure if this is the correct term so I hope a bacteriologist will correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!)

In .divx format
http://www.heliotown.com/Bacteria_Catchall_work.html

And here is an earlier page that shows a possible "swarm ring" in motion under the cover glass. In .mp4 format
http://www.heliotown.com/Bacteria_swarm_ring.html

Tom
Meiji optics and microscope stand
Canon S3 IS camera used in movie mode

ralfwagner

Post by ralfwagner »

Hello Thomas,

beautiful!

What is the resolution of your video? Judging from the clearness of your video I suppose that it is more than the standard 640*480 px and 10fps. Is that true?

Thomas Ashcraft

Post by Thomas Ashcraft »

ralfwagner wrote:Hello Thomas,

What is the resolution of your video? Judging from the clearness of your video I suppose that it is more than the standard 640*480 px and 10fps. Is that true?
Hi Ralf,

I just checked the settings in .divX Pro codec v.6.2 and it says 640x480 and framerate is 30fps. I am not sure if this is relevant but it also shows a bitrate of 1300 kbps which can be adjusted.

For the quicktime .mp4 movies I am not sure what settings were used when I made them many months ago. Checking my default it says 640x480 vga and "current bitrate" which is probably 30 fps which the camera standardly shoots.

I need to experiment afresh with settings for both protocols as there are a lot of variables and possibilities. I am not pleased with the .mp4 video compression but maybe I can tweek the settings for better quality.

Tom / aka Thomas

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic