Quiz...What is it? (We have a correct answer!)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Quiz...What is it? (We have a correct answer!)

Post by Charles Krebs »

Quite an easy one I think. Live subject. Scale bar might help.

Nikon MM-11 microscope, Olympus LPLFLN 50/0.50 objective. Canon T3i. 50X on sensor.

Last edited by Charles Krebs on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Not that easy.

I don't recall seeing an image like this, but I'm wondering if the very directional lighting is making this subject look different from other shots we've seen.

Is this one of your Floscularia rotifers?

--Rik

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Not a rotifer. There was a reason why I needed to use a "harder" directional light on this rather than my normal diffusers. (That may be an extremely vague hint).
but I'm wondering if the very directional lighting is making this subject look different from other shots we've seen.
I've not seen this view posted before (... actually I've never seen an image of this detail before... but we all know the subject well).

Saul

Post by Saul »

Stigma ?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Hhmm....

Directional light illuminating just the interior of a 0.093 mm diameter tube with inward-pointing teeth on the inside surface, belonging to a live subject.

I'm thinking this subject was light-sensitive and the illumination was partly to keep it quiet.

But what sort of tube would have a structure like that?

Mosquito larva siphon, or pupa trumpet?

--Rik

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Mosquito pupa trumpet! 8)

Here's a top view with a 10X...

Another 10X from the side. It was too active for me to get a complete front to back stack, so I concentrated on the eye area...

Here's an old shot from about 3 years ago that gives a better perspective to the location of these respiratory tubes...

The reason I couldn't diffuse the light more was that in order to keep the pupa somewhat centered under the microscope objective it was in a small petri dish in a small "dome" of water. Because of the water surface shape I couldn't use any diffusers/reflectors without some serious reflection problems. When the pupa was at rest it would rise to the top of the water curvature and give me enough time for a small image stack. It did drift around a tiny bit between shots (looked like more than "a bit" with the 50X :wink:), but Zerene did a great job of aligning things.

arturoag75

Post by arturoag75 »

Incredible job Charles..as usual :shock: :shock:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Well, once again I'm looking for the "hanging slack-jawed in amazement" emoticon, and not finding it. And again I'm reminded of the greatest reward of writing software: seeing other people use it to produce far better images than I ever could. Amazing work, Charlie!

--Rik

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Charlie,

Wow, amazing job!

Congratulations.

Rogelio

myriophyllum

Post by myriophyllum »

Wow, Charles,

very impressive and interesting images, just great! 8-)

Greetings

Jens

curt0909

Post by curt0909 »

Rik, I don't know how you got that on your second guess.

Charlie, the 10x photos are unbelievable. Thanks for showing your methods as well.

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

awesome :shock:

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

it's just amazing how creative you are (: world top class (:
my FB page

I'm looking for the the extemely rare V-IM magnification changer for the E800 scope. If you have seen a listing or have one for sale please let me know.

kriscavok

Post by kriscavok »

Amazing indeed! Both concept and execution. I still do not see whole picture how did you approach this setup with microscope objective...
KrisCavok

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

curt0909 wrote:Rik, I don't know how you got that on your second guess.
It's a tribute to my limited imagination and Charlie's excellent clues. After Floscularia, aquatic insects were the only things I could think of that might have structures like this and would be described as "live subject". Of those, mosquito larvae and pupae were the only ones that fit the clue "we all know the subject well". Web search on other images didn't let me rule out either one, so I went for both.

In fairness, "pupa trumpet" was my third guess. I posted just "larva siphon?" first, then a couple of minutes later edited the post to include pupa trumpet.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic