Campanella umbellaria

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Campanella umbellaria

Post by Charles Krebs »

Here are a few more shots of the peritrich ciliate Campanella umbellaria (pretty sure I have the ID correct :wink:). The first three show them with the cilia in full "operational mode". Unlike vorticellae, the stalks do not contract. But when startled the body does contract, folding the cilia inward. The last three images show one opening after this contraction. This provides a look at the form and structure of the cilia. In the 4th image it has just started to "re-open". The 5th image gives a really good idea of how this is "arranged". The rings of cilia are inside a flexible "lip" that, as it opens, folds over and the cila become exposed. The last image shows the cilia beginning to unfold. (This last image is a bit deceptive because of the shallow DOF. It is actually looking through the near edge of this lip so that it looks as if the cilia are on the outside).

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Beautiful!

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

Hello Charles,

I would like to know more about the 3 last pictures:
1. objective 60x or 100x?
2. with flash or without flash?
3. exposure time?
4. illumination with LED (if without flash)?
5. the pictures are made with the quiet mode from Canon?

Franz

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Franz,

The last three are with a 60X using electronic flash. (No "silent-mode" since there is no flash sync in the silent-mode).

Bruce Taylor

Post by Bruce Taylor »

It is wonderful that you can achieve such clarity without distorting the natural shape of the cell. #5 does a beautiful job of exposing the myoneme fibres under the peristome and nearly all of them show the reticulate pellicle to advantage.

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

beautiful photos and great shots

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

Hello Charles,

thank you very much for your answer about the 3 last pictures. But I dont still understand why the pictures are so clear (for exemple the cilia). It seems that there is not a minimum of vibration in the camera.
Is the secret the very short duration of the flash? Did you use your adapted Vivitar 283 flash for these 3 pictures with a very short flash time?

Franz

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Charlie,

Very nice, specially last 3.

Rogelio

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Franz,
But I dont still understand why the pictures are so clear (for exemple the cilia). It seems that there is not a minimum of vibration in the camera.
Is the secret the very short duration of the flash? Did you use your adapted Vivitar 283 flash for these 3 pictures with a very short flash time?
Yes, it is primarily the very short duration of the electronic flash. The Vivitar 283 I use is about 1/1000 second at full power. With the 60X objective I am at about "-3" (three stops under full power). While I have no way of measuring it, this is likely somewhere between 1/4000 and 1/8000 second. When I use flash for shots like this I don't work from live-view. Typically the camera body is set to use mirror lock-up as well. Then, as I am getting ready to take a shot I hit the release one time to lock-up the mirror. When I have the subject in the frame properly and in focus, I release the shutter to take the picture. (This avoids any mirror "slap" and vibration. Even though the flash is of very short duration, I want to avoid the vibration from the mirror).

arturoag75

Post by arturoag75 »

Very nice Charles :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic