More Mont Saint-Hilaire

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

microcollector

More Mont Saint-Hilaire

Post by microcollector »

Here are three more mineral photos of Mont Saint-Hilaire material. These are stacked with Helicon Focus. Nikon D50 on Meiji EMZ-5TR.
Cordylite - (Ce)
Galena
Zircon
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

As I have said in the past, I don't know a lot about minerals or rocks, though I live in an area rich in minerals and gemstones. I really like the first image though, of course all are good. Those Meiji stereos are really nice for stuff like this. :D

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Three interesting crystals Doug.

The cordaylite pic is particularly good - lighting is excellent giving a real sense of depth and substance to an object that is maybe 2mm long - nice detail too.

The galena pic is a more difficult subject with large areas of white mineral - but again the lighting/exposure is good. I like this one too.

The Zircon is a smaller crystal and neither it or its matrix give you much in the way of contrast to work with. However, you've done a pretty good job with a difficult subject. Out of interest, is that a reflection of some part of your equipment in the bottom right corner of the facing surface :D . I noticed something similar in pic2 - a little cyan coloured "ball" on the upper surface of the galena crystal.

Bruce

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Wonderful photos Doug. It must be fun to look under the microscope and look for these micro crystals (even harder to identify I bet). The zircon is very nice. :wink: Let me ask...how big is your collection?
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

I pulled out the galena specimen a took a look at it under the scope. That spot is not a refection but exits on that face. As a move the crystal about I can get the color to change. There is a very thin colorless coating on the galena. On some faces it appears to cause a play of colors when oriented just right.

What I see on the zircon is a fracture on the prism face that extends across the corner of the pyramid face. Transparent crystals seem to be very difficult to photograph using stacking. Internal defects and reflections that do not show up strongly in the initial setup seem to get enhanced as I progress through the stack. I have tossed a number of photos because of this. Most of my stacks end up between 20 to 40 images. I have a Z axis stage that is micrometer driven and divided into .01 mm divisions.

I currently have 4600 specimens cataloged in my collection. There are about 100 waiting to be cataloged and a garage full of self collected material to be gone through, trimmed, and cataloged. I seem to collect material faster than I can process it. Last yeqar I only picked up about six pieces, all from the South Point area of the Big Island in Hawaii. This year does not look any better for collecting, too many 7 day work weeks. Retirement is coming in about 2 years.

Doug
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic