Gunn, get on a plane to Darwin!

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Gunn, get on a plane to Darwin!

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Danny

Post by Danny »

:D This was on the TV about 10 Min's ago Mike :wink: I said to Jan, look at this beast. All she did was look at me :roll: :shock:

Naa, its a monster for sure Mike.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Now wait a minute here...if this toads skin is poisonous, what can we expect of the person who is shown in the image holding the thing? :-k

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Ken Ramos wrote:Now wait a minute here...if this toads skin is poisonous, what can we expect of the person who is shown in the image holding the thing? :-k
The poison in most toads has to be ingested, or at least isn't very effective through skin contact. Hopefully the person washed their hands thoroughly after holding that monster!

Even the skin of "normal" toads in North America is mildly poisonous, and dogs who try to bite one usually get a bit ill. See the last paragraph of this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toad

And here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~w0dfi/toad.html
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Oh YUCK! Eating boiled toads for a cheap thrill :lol: Interesting links there Mike, never knew that about toads. I used to just pick them up and move them out of the way, when I happen to find them while out mowing the lawn, and think nothing of it. I suppose I will just prod them along with a stick the next time I run across one. :wink:

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Here in the US, I'm just happy to still see a toad or two. About 30-35 years ago, I remembering riding in the car at night on country gravel roads and seeing toads all over the roads. Nowadays, when making the same trek, I rarely see one. World is a changin'

Ken

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic