Attn: Adobe Photoshop and Windows Vista Users!

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

twebster

Attn: Adobe Photoshop and Windows Vista Users!

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all, :D

If any of you Adobe Photoshop users "out there" are planning on upgrading to Windows Vista or have bought a new computer with Windows Vista installed, you may be interested in the information contained in this article, http://www.informationweek.com/windows/ ... d_IWK_News.

It appears that Adobe will not support or guarantee that previous versions of Photoshop CS2 and older will run properly on Windows Vista. The only version of Photoshop that will be supported on Vista will be the yet unreleased Photoshop CS3. This will be at least a $650+ upgrade for anyone who wants to install Photoshop CS3 on a Vista machine. I don't know, yet, if there will be an upgrade disk available when Photoshop CS3 is released. I understand that Photoshop CS3 should be released April first. How fitting :!: :evil:

Best regards to all as always, :D

PS I've heard much grumbling on other forums I visit about how badly Windows Vista is running. :(
Last edited by twebster on Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

Danny

Post by Danny »

Yep, NSN had a few complaints about that as well Tom. Rock on Photoimpact IMO :D :wink: 8)

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Don't have Photoshop, but my Elements 4 seems to be running without any problems on Vista Home Premium. Unless it is Vista stopping me uploading images to your site using your uploader, though I can upload to other sites OK?

DaveW

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

If Adobe is not supporting some of it's legacy applications with patches for Vista it seems Microsoft is. See those specified in the following link:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929427

DaveW

twebster

Post by twebster »

Hi DaveW. I wouldn't count on that list. There are many, many Photoshop CS2 and CS users who are having tons of trouble running Photoshop on Windows Vista.

Also, Canon 1D and 1Ds users are finding that Windows Vista is corrupting their RAW files. The early Canon RAW files for the 1D and 1Ds cameras used a .tif extension even though the file format is a RAW format. Windows Vista does not recognize the .tif RAW files and is corrupting the RAW files with the .tif extension.
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

I have an older computer that I upgraded to Vista and had no problem with the Photoshop CS2. I do not come close to using all of its features, so maybe I have been lucky. My problem with Vista was with Combine ZM and Helicon Focus. Both would hang while processing stacks. This was not happening all the time. With a bit of digging around, I found that the memory had some bad areas. XP had no problem with this but Vista is very intolerent of memory problems. I just got a new computer with Vista installed and 4 GB of memory and a better processor. I am still in the process of loading programs and have not tried to process any stacks yet. Photoshop did install without any problems.
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Maybe, like all newer OS's, Vista needs more memory and disk space to run properly? I have just upgraded to a new Dell Dimension 9200 with a Dual Core Intel E6700 2.66GHz processor, 4 Gig of memory and a 500GB Serial ATA Raid hard disk, solely because my old computer always had memory and hard disk full problems. Probably, though Vista will theoretically run on many older machines, most of them are now underspecified to run it well regarding disk space and memory.

It's never your files that usually clog up the machines, it's always the big increase in hard disk space and power every new operating system and program recently brought out needs to run well. As to tif. files Tom they could have been converted to Adobe DNG format which was intended to be an alternative RAW format for both camera makers and other formats that were unlikely to be supported in future.

I am not familiar with Canon cameras, but from what you say it sounds as if these are old models and even Canon has junked the tif. format for it's RAW files? Window's not supporting tif. is no different to Adobe not providing Adobe Camera RAW plug-ins for Photoshop versions older than CS2, it's the old planned obsolescence beloved by industry to force you to upgrade!

One thing I have found is that Internet Explorer 7 tends to shut down at times saying it has stopped working and needs to re-start. Which means if it did that whilst I am typing this post I would have lost all I have typed because it does not give me the facility to save anything before it stops working! I still have to get that bug sorted out because I did a Web search and found others had the same problem.

DaveW

georgedingwall

Post by georgedingwall »

For those of you who might be thinking of upgrading you existing computer, here is a link to the Vista compatbility tester. It will examine your current setup and tell you if your computer is capable of running Vista and whether any of your current hardware or software might have issues with Vista.

Vista Compatability Tester

Bye or now.
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk/

Danny

Post by Danny »

Yes Vista is heavy on memory. If you watch your CPU usage, it hardly ever settles down and stops. There are a couple of memory dependent programmes causing that. One I found was audi.dll........or something like that anyway. Keeps using resources even when nothing else is running.

Mind you, we had similar problems going from 95 to ME to 98 and then a huge jump to XP. Memory was the same problem then as well.

Hey, what ever happened to 64K ram and a 10 meg hard drive :D :wink: never mind the Hercules graphics :roll:

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

"640K of memory should be enough for anybody.'' - Bill Gates - 1981 :lol:

Bill Gates writes a column distributed by the New York Times Syndicate.

Here's an excerpt from column.

Excerpted from: CAREER OPPORTUNITIES IN COMPUTING -- AND MORE (1/19)

<http://nytsyn.com/live/Gates/019_011996 ... _4351.html>

By BILL GATES
c.1996 Bloomberg Business News

[...]
QUESTION: I read in a newspaper that in 1981 you said, ``640K of memory should be enough for anybody.'' What did you mean when you said this?

ANSWER: I've said some stupid things and some wrong things, but not that. No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time.

The need for memory increases as computers get more potent and software gets more powerful. In fact, every couple of years the amount of memory address space needed to run whatever software is mainstream at the time just about doubles. This is well-known.

When IBM introduced its PC in 1981, many people attacked Microsoft for its role. These critics said that 8-bit computers, which had 64K of address space, would last forever. They said we were wastefully throwing out great 8-bit programming by moving the world toward 16-bit computers.

We at Microsoft disagreed. We knew that even 16-bit computers, which had 640K of available address space, would be adequate for only four or five years. (The IBM PC had 1 megabyte of logical address space. But 384K of this was assigned to special purposes, leaving 640K of memory available. That's where the now-infamous ``640K barrier'' came from.)

A few years later, Microsoft was a big fan of Intel's 386 microprocessor chip, which gave computers a 32-bit address space.

Modern operating systems can now take advantage of that seemingly vast potential memory. But even 32 bits of address space won't prove adequate as time goes on.

Meanwhile, I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again. --------------------------------- end excerpt ---------------------------------

Does anyone have the cite for the first time this statement was attributed to Bill Gates? :lol:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"640K of memory should be enough for anybody.'' - Bill Gates - 1981"

He was correct, that's for all your files, it's just the new OS's need 4Gig of memory to open them! :lol:

DaveW :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic