a bloom of dinophyceae and...

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Franz Neidl

a bloom of dinophyceae and...

Post by Franz Neidl »

Two weeks ago I had a bloom of dinophyceae. The Tintinnids liked this situation a lot and they could'nt stop eating them.
3 pictures

Franz

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Franz,
What is the approximate size of this Tintinnid? I find them very rarely and I am wondering if my net mesh is just too large.

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

Hello Charles,

the lorica of the first tintinnid was 195µm long and from the second wa137 µm.
The biggest number of the tintinnid I find always in the surface layer (Neuston) of the sea. For these purpose I am "fishing" on a place in the harbour which is very protected against the wind. It is good when the sun is shining and the water is relatively quiet. In this case I dont take a planktonnet but only a simple pot on a telescopic rod. And I make the sample in a way that I take only the first millimeters (or the first centimeter) of the watersurface. At home I filter with a 33 µm net. In this way I concentrate the sample.
The Neuston-layer of the seawater is really very much interesting (many bacteria, many photsynthesis making protozoa ecc.)
If you (or somebody else) is interested in Neuston I can very much recommend the classical book of Yu. P. Zaitsev, Marine Neustonology (translated from Russian), Jerusalem 1971. You can downlowd this book gratis from the web as PDF. I give you the link:
http://ceemar.org/dspace/bitstream/1109 ... nology.pdf

Franz

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic