Butterfly scale exhibit

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pwnell

Butterfly scale exhibit

Post by pwnell »

This is another slide by Klaus Kemp.

20121211-DSLR_IMG_0001_3.jpg by pwnell, on Flickr
10x, Epi, HF B stack of 84 images.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

That is quite a slide! And a photo showing it off beautifully.

What was the lighting? You say "epi", but I am assuming you are not talking about a microscope vertical illuminator.

pwnell

Post by pwnell »

Thanks Charles. By epi I meant I used two Ikea LED lamps with a diffuser around the objective. My vertical illuminator is on its way but I am not sure it would work here due to possible reflections and harshness of the light.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

My vertical illuminator is on its way but I am not sure it would work here due to possible reflections and harshness of the light
That's why I asked. The reflection and glare from a mounted slide would be brutal.

"Epi" means "above", so you were correct in describing it as such. It is just that when you are talking microscope illumination, for a great many people "epi" is taken to mean the use of a microscope vertical illuminator.
(And if you had pulled this off with brightfield in a vertical illuminator I wanted to know how you did it! ) :wink:

pwnell

Post by pwnell »

What is the more accurate description then for using external lighting from above the subject but not going through the objective from the rear entrance?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Sometimes the phrases "episcopic brightfield" and "episcopic darkfield" are used. Those refer to what you'd see if you look at a mirror, so brightfield means illumination through the imaging lens and darkfield means illumination around the imaging lens. By that distinction, your illumination was episcopic darkfield.

However, if you had said just "episcopic darkfield", I would expect readers to fall mostly into two groups: some who have no idea what the phrase means, and the remainder who would misinterpret it as meaning something like a BD objective, where light is delivered through a collar that is part of the objective itself.

To be sure of being understood correctly, I think you'll have to spell it out.

I don't know how to do it any tighter than you did: "two Ikea LED lamps with a diffuser around the objective".

--Rik

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

When asked, I used to call it epi-illumination. And I still do if my vertical illuminator is used. These days I just call it "reflected light" which (to me at least) denotes surface illumination from the top, but should not indicate to anyone that a vertical illuminator was used. Just seems easier than always needing to add that it was NOT done with a vertical illuminator.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic