Section through 270 million year old fossilised tree fern

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bruce Williams

Section through 270 million year old fossilised tree fern

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi folks,

This fossilised tree fern comes from the Maranhao Sedimentary Basin in NE Brazil. It grew in the Permian period (late Palaozoic era) approximately 270 million years ago. Species is probably Tietea singularis or (less likely) Psaronius brasiliensis but I'll need to do more research before I can say with confidence.

This particular slice probably comes from near the base of the trunk/branch as it is almost entirely made of the central (supporting) stele. This is identifiable by the numerous brain-like structures of the vascular bundles of xylem tissue. The slice is polished on front and back and this posting includes images from both sides.

It's striking just how different the internal structure is from that of a tree.

I have another fossilised fern that shows the middle/upper trunk with cells that would have been involved with the transport of water and nutrients as well as the leaf bases. I'll do a project on that fossil for comparison with this posting sometime soon.

I will also pop this slice under the Meiji stereo microscope (maybe tomorrow) and will post results in the microscope forum.

Images are stacks of ~5 frames.

Bruce

ImageImage

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Bruce you sure have a lot of interesting stuff around your place. Kind of like you live in a museum. These are beautiful images, I will be looking for a posting in Micro. Thanks :D

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Amazing what time and water will do.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Hi Bruce. Wonderful fossil that was well photographed. How did you control surface reflection. Very diffuse lighting? Polarizer?

Irwin

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

This is one beautiful specimen Bruce. A lot of plant structure is showing. I have never seen a fern slab before. A man and his collection is a wonderful thing :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Ken, Mike, Irwin and Doug - Thanks for your kind comments guys :D.

I have posted microscopic images from this fossilised fern slice in the Microscope Forum, see:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 2013#12013

Bruce

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Irwin,

My apology for delay in answering your question. Yes a good question too, these polished fossil rounds are VERY shiny.

I use a light tent (a 26" cube of white material). Illumination is 2 X 50W halogen desk lamps (one on each side) approximately 6 inches away from the material (they get very hot so I have to be careful). I also have a 100W tungsten wall light about 3 foot above the tent. I use custom white balance and get quite accurate results.

Bruce

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Thanks Bruce. :D I had wondered how effective a light tent was for highly relective surfaces.

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

A wonderfully preserved piece of wood fossil for its age! :shock:
Could be possible to find a pieces of the same quality on the market? 8) :D
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Fascinating stuff Bruce!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic