New to the site

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bugs

New to the site

Post by Bugs »

Hi folks

Thought I would introduce myself.

I have been interested in visual microscopy since I was a kid of about 10 and got a Perfect Co 300x toy microscope for Christmas. Jump ahead 40 years and I have a PhD in aquatic entomology and work as a freshwater macroinvertebrate taxonomist. Much of my work involves staring down a microscope six hours a day identifying "bugs" for various research projects.

My main lab equipment includes a Zeiss Stemi SV11 stereoscope and a Labophot II phase contrast compound microscope. Both have photoports that I connect a Canon Rebel xsi to take microphotographs. Most of my microscopic imaging is for work purposes and are quick snap shots of whole bugs or to illustrate taxonomic characters. I will post my website related to the freshwater aquatic "bugs" of Saskatchewan, Canada, in my profile if anyone wishes to visit.

I also enjoy nature photography. I use a second hand DSLR Pentax with an old Tamaron sp 90mm macro, 80-210mm zoom and a 500 mm mirror lens. I prefer available light imaging out in the field and rarely use a flash as I find available light imaging to be more natural looking.

I look forward to exchanging ideas with other members, viewing their images and, where I can, assist in identifying any "bugs" that members have.

Thanks
Dale (aka bugs)

Harold Gough

Re: New to the site

Post by Harold Gough »

Welcome Dale
Bugs wrote:II prefer available light imaging out in the field and rarely use a flash as I find available light imaging to be more natural looking.
As the best people do. :)
Bugs wrote:I look forward to exchanging ideas with other members, viewing their images and, where I can, assist in identifying any "bugs" that members have.
It's always good to have more entomological input.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Harold Gough wrote:
Bugs wrote:II prefer available light imaging out in the field and rarely use a flash as I find available light imaging to be more natural looking.
As the best people do. :)

Harold
As a dedicated user of flash in the field (at ISO 100 and f/22 it's hard to use natural light for moving subjects) place me in the group of "worst people".
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

NikonUser wrote:As a dedicated user of flash in the field (at ISO 100 and f/22 .
That's interesting. When I recently ventured into f16 recently (due to the reversed zoom not having constant aperture) I almost felt that I should mention that as unobtrusively as possible and move quickly on. (A case where hand-holding required flash at ISO 100, new territory for me, a matter of practicality over preference).

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

dissent

Post by dissent »

heh. I'll use any lighting at all that will help me get any kind of a good shot. atm, lighting does not seem to be my main problem . . . :lol:
- Ian
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." - Mark Twain

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic