Stuck Oly finder eyepiece

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Planapo

Stuck Oly finder eyepiece

Post by Planapo »

I just noticed that in the right-hand eyepiece tube of my BHS I have a so called finder or field of view eyepiece. It is a bit embarrassing that I wasn't aware of that until now but for my apology I have to say that on the left side there is an eypiece with subdivided cross-hairs installed and I had thought these other rectangular markings would be on that plate too and besides they are not so prominent and hence barely visible when looking at a denser/darker specimen.

The finder eyepiece is the 35 WHK 10x/20 L and I read that it has double cross lines that can be focussed by rotating the top part to achieve parfocality between viewing and photo tube.
My problem is that the top part of my finder eyepiece can't be rotated, most likely the grease inside has hardened over time. Well, I have made other mechanical parts with hardened grease like bellows moveable again by warming them up and placing little drops of Ballistol in gaps, but I am reluctant to do this to a more delicate optical part containing lenses. I'd appreciate any advice on how this issue could be mended.

Thanks in advance for your help
--Betty
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view
- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
Lee, N. H. 1960. To Kill a Mockingbird. J. B. Lippincott, New York.

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Betty,

Check the following link:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... piece.html

Rogelio

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Excellent, Rogelio!
Thanks much for this link, it provides exactly the information I was hoping for!

--Betty :D
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view
- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
Lee, N. H. 1960. To Kill a Mockingbird. J. B. Lippincott, New York.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic