Spring Coming to the Carolina's

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Spring Coming to the Carolina's

Post by Ken Ramos »

Oh boy, I can hardly wait. Today I walked around the outside of the house to see what I could find. It is so warm and sunny out you would hurt yourself enjoying it. :lol: Here's what I found so far, just some wildflowers of sorts but hey, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, uh? :roll:

Heal-All

I maybe wrong but I think that this is called "Heal-All." A member of the mint family and it is growing and blooming profusely around the foundation of the house. They call it "Heal-All" because at one time it was used by doctors to treat throat ailments and various other afflictions. It is also known as "Self-Heal" and "Carpenters Herb." It was once thought to be native but it has been naturalized from Europe and Asia :D

These little flowers and I do mean little, are usually the first to show up, even before it is warm enough for anything else. I do not know what they are called but they are everywhere around the lawn and though pretty, they make an unsightly mess. :(

Another of which I do not know the name of, though I looked in my wildflower and herb books for it. It is a rather medium sized bush growing at the edge of the house, with sparse yellow flowers covering its limbs.

All Images: EOS 20D, Canon EF-S 60mm Macro, 1/250 sec. @ f/18 ISO 400 Daylight w/Canon 430EX flash @ 1/3

Though the presence of honybees maybe on the decline in some areas of the United States, they are really humming around here. When you go outside, it sounds as though you are standing under a power transformer. :lol:

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

So niceeeeeeee! :D
Perfectly captured, Ken. :smt023
The first one is possibly stinging nettle or Urtica dioica, I would say, the second one... can't remember :-k ... and the third one is Forsythia × intermedia hybrid. :wink:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Nikola, however the first one is only about 6 inches tall at the most, pretty small for a nettle I think and besides I pull them up all the time because they over run the place. :D

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Only about 6 inches? :shock: :-k How about dwarf nettle Urtica urens? :lol: But too early for blooming I guess. 8)
I think so called "Carpenters Herb" is actually Achillea millefolium and its earliest flowering time is June. But must be many "All Heal" herbs. :lol:
Just kidding. O:)
This one could be a Prunella vulgaris, Mint family. :wink:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

OOOOO YES.......spring is in the air. Thanks for the shot of spring Ken :smt023. We will not see anything on our Forsythias for another month :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic