Green growth in forest litter

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Green growth in forest litter

Post by rjlittlefield »

Just an interesting little snippet of what you see if you stick your nose down near the ground. Frame height about 2-1/4". I have no idea what the plant is.

Canon A710 camera with Raynox 250 closeup lens, aperture priority f/8, manual focus, single frame.

--Rik
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DQE

Post by DQE »

The color contrast is especially enjoyable, IMO. I've always enjoyed photos of "green shoots", perhaps because it seems to symbolize new life, etc.

Capturing such an object in a way that the subject + background match of course requires considerable skill and art, often more than I can summon.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks, Phil.

"New life" is exactly the situation here. This is high country, elevation around 6200 feet, and this spot was still under snow until just a couple of weeks ago.

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Well, I now have an ID on this plant, and as a result I've had to change the title. Rather than a "seedling", the green stuff shown above is in fact new growth at the ends of branches of a long lived perennial that the books describe as evergreen. Here's the end of one branch dug out of the mat that it likes to make:

Species is Luetkea pectinata, common name "partridgefoot". The web has many images of it.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic