Posting pictures again!

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DaveW

Posting pictures again!

Post by DaveW »

Bought a new computer and Elements 4 now processes images without hanging the machine!

Notocactus just under a number, one of the arachnites, uebelmannianus group, ex Andreas Hofacker seed.

Lophophora (Peyote or Peyote Buttons) contains hallucinogens like Mescalin and eaten in some of the Native American Church's rituals.

DaveW

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi Dave,

Pleased to see you back up and running. That's a beautiful Noto flower - I love the satin sheen to the petals and deep red stigma lobes. Nice clean photo too.

I have a feeling that (unless you're a practicing N.American Indian) because of it's hallucinogenic properties, it's illegal to keep Lophophora sps. in the US (not certain about this though?). A good site to bone up on the historical background of this plant is Peyote.org.

Bruce :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I agree with bruce on the first picture....Excellent photo of a beautiful flower Dave. So that is what a live Peyote cactus looks like :wink: 8)

DAVE WROTE:
Notocactus just under a number, one of the arachnites, uebelmannianus group, ex Andreas Hofacker seed.
Talk about knowing the pedagree of a plant :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Beautiful cacti in the bloom, Dave! :D
Nice to hear about new computer. I hope you saved all your old data. :wink:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"I have a feeling that (unless you're a practicing N.American Indian) because of it's hallucinogenic properties, it's illegal to keep Lophophora sps. in the US"

I heard the same thing at one time Bruce but not sure if it still applies. I am sure many members of the Cactus & Succulent Society of America have them. It may be a case of if you do not use them for the wrong reasons a blind eye is turned. Irwin should know?

I gather we now have to call them Indigenous Americans. They used the freedom of religion provisions to exempt themselves from the narcotics acts. You are required to do certain things before ingesting Lophophora or they usually just make you violently sick I gather, and I am not going to disclose what because there is always some idiot casually reading these sites willing to try!

I gather some of the alkaloids in Lophophora were in the past used to treat mental health problems, but it was found the side effects were often long lasting or permanent so discontinued. It is said that L. williamsii contains the hallucinogens whereas L. diffusa does not, some say L. diffusa just contains different less powerful ones, but same with many plants some clones of the same species are more potent than others.

The above came as L. diffusa, but flowered pink like L. williamsii, but I later read that L. diffusa can have pink flowered forms too, so both I and the plant are now confused as to it's identity.

Not many know that the freely sold Trichocerei commonly used as grafting stocks like T.pachanoi contain far more hallucinogens than Lophophora.

DaveW

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I remember these from the late 60's and early 70's :roll: It was long afterwards people started ingesting hallucinogenic mushrooms. Though the liver can repair itself to an extent if not too severly damaged, I have heard but am not sure, brain cells on the other hand cannot. :shock: Best to leave both alone and enjoy their beauty. However unless you consider a pile of cow dung with a mushroom in it to be beautiful, I would just forego the mushroom thing altogether. :lol:

Beautiful images there Dave :D

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes Ken, these were often confused in identification with the magic mushroom as when dead and dried, as you can see from the picture, they look a lot like the top of a mushroom.

Doug,

"Talk about knowing the pedigree of a plant"

We cactophiles like as much details of the plant or where the seed was collected as possible. From the collection number we should be able to find out who originally collected the plant or seed and from which locality. The collection number is often more valuable on the plant than the name as you can always find all the details out from the collection number, including the name if it has one, but not from just the name itself.

There are thousands of collection numbers for cacti and I supplied many thousands I had already put on computer to help start Ralph Martin's collection numbers database which is available on the Internet for cactus collectors everywhere. If you scroll down the first link you will see he acknowledges this. This database is growing daily as more and more people supply their collection numbers and localities to it:-

http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/cacti/fieldno.html

http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/cacti/collector.html

I would not be surprised if other individuals were not running a similar facility for other groups of plants.

DaveW

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic