FAQ: Where do I find ID guides and references for naming?

Here are summaries and links to discussions for Frequently Asked Questions.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

At http://www.esc-sec.ca/aafcmono.html, this collection of very technical books. All are available as downloadable pdf's or on paper at the indicated link. On quick review, these appear to have been scanned from paper and then OCR'd so that they are searchable and the text can be copy/pasted. The OCR is not perfect, but is very high quality.

Agriculture and Agri-Food Entomological Monographs

The Entomological Society of Canada (ESC) has obtained copyright permission from Her Majesty the Queen in the Right of Canada, as represented by the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC), to publish on the ESC website the following Entomological Monographs, authored by employees of the AAFC. The ESC has also obtained copyright permission from non-AAFC authors, identified by an asterisk. All works copyright © Her Majesty the Queen in the Right of Canada, as represented by the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (1976-1993).

The AAFC monographs are now available as print-on-demand books at http://www.volumesdirect.com. All the titles can be found using a search for “Agriculture Canada” or by individual title.

Various authors, 1983, Manual of Nearctic Diptera. Volume 1, 674 (pdf)

Various authors, 1987, Manual of Nearctic Diptera. Volume 2, 658 (pdf)

Various authors, 1990, Manual of Nearctic Diptera. Volume 3, 249 (pdf)

Various authors, 1987, The insects, spiders and mites of Cape Breton Highlands National Park, BRC Report 1, 302 (pdf)

Anderson, R.S.* & Peck, S.*, 1985, The carrion beetles of Canada and Alaska: Coleoptera: Silphidae and Agyrtidae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 13, 121 (pdf)

Anderson, R.V. & Mulvey, R.H., 1979, Plant-parasitic nematodes in Canada. an illustrated key to the genera / Part 1, 152 (pdf)

Bousquet, Y. (1990), Beetles associated with stored products in Canada: an identification guide. Canada Department of Agriculture Publication: 1-220 (pdf)

Bousquet, Y., 1991, Checklist of beetles of Canada and Alaska, 430 (pdf)

Bright, D.E., 1993, The weevils of Canada and Alaska. Volume 1: Coleoptera: Curculionoidea, excluding Scolytidae and Curculionidae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 21, 217 (pdf)

Bright, D.E., 1976, The bark beetles of Canada and Alaska: Coleoptera: Scolytidae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 2, 241 (pdf)

Bright, D.E., 1987, The metallic wood-boring beetles of Canada and Alaska: Coleoptera: Buprestidae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 15, 335 (pdf)

Campbell, J.M., Sarazin, M.J. & Lyons, B., 1989, Canadian beetles (Coleoptera) injurious to crops, ornamentals, stored products, and buildings, 491 (pdf)

Cody, W.J.; Savile, D.B.O.; Sarazin, M.J., 1986, Systematics in Agriculture Canada at Ottawa, 1886-1986, Historical Series (Canada, Agriculture Canada), 28, 83 (pdf)

Cody, W.J., 1986, La recherche en systématique à Agriculture Canada, Ottawa, 1886-1986, Série historique (Canada, Agriculture Canada), 28, 83 (pdf)

Dondale, C.D. & Redner, J.H., 1990, The wolf spiders, nurseryweb spiders, and lynx spiders of Canada and Alaska: Araneae: Lycosidae, Pisauridae, and Oxyopidae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 17, 383 (pdf)

Dondale, C.D. & Redner, J.H., 1978, The crab spiders of Canada and Alaska: Araneae: Philodromidae and Thomisidae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 5, 255 (pdf)

Dondale, C.D. & Redner, J.H., 1982, The sac spiders of Canada and Alaska: Araneae: Clubionidae and Anyphaenidae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 9, 194 (pdf)

Ebsary, B.A., 1991, Catalog of the order Tylenchida (Nematoda) / Catalogue, ordre des Tylenchida (Nematoda), 196 (pdf)

Foottit, R.G. & Richards, 1993, The genera of the aphids of Canada: Homoptera: Aphidoidea and Phylloxeroidea, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 22, 766 (pdf)

Goulet, H., 1992, The genera and subgenera of the sawflies of Canada and Alaska: Hymenoptera: Symphyta, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 20, 235 (pdf)

Goulet, H. & Huber, J., 1993, Hymenoptera of the world: an identification guide to families, 668 (pdf)

Hamilton, K.G.A., 1982, The spittlebugs of Canada: Homoptera: Cercopidae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 10, 102 (pdf)

Kelton, L.A., 1978, The Anthocoridae of Canada and Alaska: Heteroptera, Anthocoridae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 4, 101 (pdf)

Kelton, L.A., 1980, The plant bugs of the Prairie Provinces of Canada: Heteroptera: Miridae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 8, 408 (pdf)

Martin, J.E.H., 1983, Récolte, préparation et conservation des insectes, des acariens et des araignées, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 1 (French), 205 (pdf)

Martin, J.E.H., 1977, Collecting, preparing, and preserving insects, mites, and spiders, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 1 (English), 182 (pdf)

Matsuda, R., 1977, The Aradidae of Canada: Hemiptera: Aradidae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 3, 116 (pdf)

Oliver, D.R. & Roussel, 1983, The genera of larval midges of Canada: Diptera, Chironomidae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 11, 263 (pdf)

Platnick, N.I. & Dondale, C.D., 1991, The ground spiders of Canada and Alaska : Araneae: Gnaphosidae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 19, 297 (pdf)

Rockburne, E.W., 1976, The cutworm moths of Ontario and Quebec, 164 (pdf)

Schmid, F., 1980, Genera des Trichoptères du Canada et des États adjacents, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 7 (French), 296 (pdf)

Teskey, H.J., 1990, The horse flies and deer flies of Canada and Alaska: Diptera: Tabanidae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 16, 381 (pdf)

Vickery, V.R.& Kevan, D.K.McE., 1986, The grasshoppers, crickets, and related insects of Canada and adjacent regions: Ulonata: Dermaptera, Cheleutoptera, Notoptera, Dictuoptera, Grylloptera, and Orthoptera, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 14, 918 (pdf)

Wood, D.M., Dang, P.T. & Ellis, R.A., 1979, The mosquitoes of Canada: Diptera: Culicidae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 6 (English), 390 (pdf)

Vockeroth, J.R., 1991, The flower flies of the subfamily Syrphinae of Canada, Alaska, and Greenland, Diptera: Syrphidae, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 18, 456 (pdf)

Wood, D.M., Dang, P.T. & Ellis, R.A., 1984, Clés des genres et des espèces de moustiques du Canada: Diptera: Culicida, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 6 (French), 93 (pdf)

Yoshimoto, C.M., 1984, The families and subfamilies of Canadian Chalcidoid wasps, Insects and Arachnids of Canada Handbook Series, 12, 149 (pdf)

darwin

Post by darwin »

For those interested in determining these species might want to have these books:

1) Nannenga: A Guide to Temperate Myxomycetes ISBN: 0948737123

2) H. Neubert, W. Nowotny, K. Baumann & H. Marx (1993-2000): Die Myxomyceten, vol 1-3
Band 1. ISBN: 3929822008
Band 2. ISBN: 3929822016
Band 3. ISBN: 3929822024

3) Poulain Michel, Marianne Meyer et Jean Bozonnet: Les myxomycètes. 2 vols. ISBN:2951854021

The american book (Myxomycetes: A Handbook of Slime Molds) is a bit outdated, as is Nannenga. But Nannenga is still better than the american one. But that's my opinion. The other two have very nice pictures.

But be aware that the books i refer to are from European regions.
Dieter

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

ChrisRaper wrote:My own personal favourite for UK and European insects is the "Field Guide to the Insects of Britain and Western Europe" by Michael Chinery - not to be confused with the book that covers Northern Europe!! The Western Europe one has far more species figured whereas the Northern Europe book is mainly text but it very good if you want to learn about the insects and entomology in general.

This used to be a Collins guide but now it seems to have migrated to Domino - see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Insects-Britain ... 0713672390
I have just obtained a copy of the book, published by A & C Black, London. ISBN 978-0-7136-7239-8

I confirm the more detailed coverage of many insect groups.

It has a key to most adults.

It is the only book to give detailed (not to be confused with comprehensive) coverage of Thysanura, Diplura and Collembola (the latter to several species), Ephemeroptera, Plecoptera, Phasmids and Dermaptera, Thysanoptera, Neuroptera (s. lato), micro Lepidoptera, Trichoptera, Mallophaga and Anoplura (lice), Siphonaptera (fleas).

The damselfly section is a little disappointing but the dragonfly one is good.

Orthoptera, mantids, phasmids and Dermaptera (earwigs) as weel as both Heteroptera and Homoptera, Diptera (including many Nematocera), Hymenoptera (including many sawflies) and Coleoptera all have extensive scope. There is even a section on aquatic larvae.

Myriapods, woodlice, harvestmen and spiders also have sections at the back of the book.

I didn't find and mention of Protura among the hexapods or of Symphyla or Pauropoda among the myriapods, all of which may be found in habitats such as under stones.

The above is based on no more than a (slow) perusal and is far from being a review.

When I ordered the book, alreading having other Collins Guides, I felt I was being indulgent. I was so wrong. If this book covers your region and you want just one insect book, this is the one.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

ChrisR wrote:All the macro moths in the UK:
A Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britian and Ireland. Waring, Townsend and Lewington. 444pp ISBN 9780953139989 £29.95
Now there is one for the micros:

http://www.britishwildlife.com/viewbook.asp?bookid=24

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

A wide-subject resource which has been mentioned about 3 times in the forum but I think deserves listing is The Biodiversity Heritage Library. Terabytes of old books, free to download. Many titles have OCR text files too so can be searched quickly.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/browse/subject

Original link found in blowfly anatomy posts, here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic