Nikon Objectives

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

PauloM,
Thankyou for the clarification/confirmation regarding the 2x objective :) Regarding the image you've mentioned, you could post the eBay item#; if the listing ended less than 90 days ago, the image might still be available online. There were a few available during the course of the past couple of weeks including the earlier and later versions of the Apo ($$).
g4lab wrote:What a lovely gaggle of objectives. :D
Yes, I'm rather fond of them Gene :wink: They are all stored in nice containers too 8)

Charlie,
I was intending to add more details regarding the presence of 10x MI in the photographs. There are so many varieties of the Nikon M Plan 10x 210/0 .25 that I am still unsure what a regular Nikon M Plan 10x CF objective actually looks like. We need a picture, if someone has one handy.

gypsey,
The 10x objectives will provide approximately 10mm of working distance. When you start using a 20x objective, then the working distance begins to become an issue; that is why I went for the objectives with ELWD specifications where possible.

The objectives I use the most are the 10x and 20x. The lower power objectives are also very good; but there are a number of dedicated macro lenses and reverse-mounted enlarger lenses that will also provide excellent results in that range.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

gypsey

Post by gypsey »

Craig

I have an El Nikkor 2.8/50 which I intend to use for up tp 5X as soon as I receive suitable adaptors, problems with China, and then the Nikon 10X CF whatever when something suitable comes up.

Thanks again for your input.

gypsey

PauloM

Post by PauloM »

The 2x CF N Plan has the same spec, but is slightly different in appearance, with the characteristic three knuckled rings. Here's a picture of one:

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

PauloM wrote:The 2x CF N Plan has the same spec, but is slightly different in appearance, with the characteristic three knuckled rings. Here's a picture of one:

I have one of these, and failed to use it for photomacrography because of the extremely low working distance (much less than the 4x Apo used by others in this group - the subject must be placed almost onto the front of the barrel and incident illumination is nearly impossible, except with an internal beam splitter).
--ES

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

The 2x are more at home in a 'micro' environment. :)

Other Nikon objectives to keep a lookout for are the Nikon BD Plan finite objectives. They have a larger thread and a wider diameter barrel than the RMS threaded objectives; but the 'glass' has the same properties, these are 'CF' objectives. When used for macro, the front section of the barrel can been unscrewed to better facilitate lighting.

The Nikon BD Plan objectives are listed (especially of late) regularly on eBay. Again, working distance is a consideration; so the same limitations/considerations apply. The 10x would be good to work with and the 20x (but WD would be approaching 'tight' with the latter...unless it was an ELWD or LWD).

I recently purchased 3 BD Plans, because the prices were very reasonable. (I'm waiting for them to arrive). How could I knock back an 'as new' Nikon CF objective for $50.00 :?

Some of the images posted by morfa demonstrate the use of Nikon BD Plan objectives. (note the ELWD on the 20X)

Some examples here:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=9927
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=9367

The image below (courtesy of fluor_doublet) shows the Nikon BD Plans with the outer barrel unscrewed.

*image courtesy of fluor_doublet

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

PauloM

Post by PauloM »

enricosavazzi wrote: I have one of these, and failed to use it for photomacrography because of the extremely low working distance (much less than the 4x Apo used by others in this group - the subject must be placed almost onto the front of the barrel and incident illumination is nearly impossible, except with an internal beam splitter).
The W.D values I have for the CF Plan 2x are these:
CF Plan Apo 2x: 5.3mm
CF Plan 2x: 5.8mm

Did the W.D. get even smaller in the CF N series?

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

PauloM wrote:
enricosavazzi wrote: I have one of these, and failed to use it for photomacrography because of the extremely low working distance (much less than the 4x Apo used by others in this group - the subject must be placed almost onto the front of the barrel and incident illumination is nearly impossible, except with an internal beam splitter).
The W.D values I have for the CF Plan 2x are these:
CF Plan Apo 2x: 5.3mm
CF Plan 2x: 5.8mm

Did the W.D. get even smaller in the CF N series?
As far as I recall, it was less than 5 mm, probably around 3 mm.

Edit: I have in fact a test on my web site:
http://savazzi.freehostia.com/photograp ... enses2.htm
--ES

Jim McClarin

What's a Ph 1 objective?

Post by Jim McClarin »

I'm looking at an image of a Plan 10/ 0.30 .60/0.17 objective on Ebay but in a break in the yellow band it also says Ph 1. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... _500wt_898) I'd like to know what this means as I try to figure out a good beginner objective for stack-shooting <2mm beetle specimens.

Also, instead of saying 160/0.17 or 210/0, it says .60/0.17. What does this mean, that tube length is only .6mm? Seems implausible. Oh, I think I just figured it out, it's not a decimal but the very bottom of a numeral 1. The rest of the numeral has worn off, lol!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: What's a Ph 1 objective?

Post by rjlittlefield »

Jim McClarin wrote:it also says Ph 1. I'd like to know what this means as I try to figure out a good beginner objective for stack-shooting <2mm beetle specimens.
"Ph 1" is part of Nikon's designation for a "phase contrast" objective. Those have an extra ring that blocks part of the aperture, so they're not ideal for photomacrography (odd appearance in out-of-focus areas) and also they're more expensive than necessary.

If you're in the US, then there are two inexpensive known good objectives that are commonly in stock as new parts. These are 1) the Nikon Finite Conjugate 10X NA 0.25 sold by Edmund Optics, and 2) the Nikon CFI BE 10X NA 0.25 infinite objective sold by Optics Planet. See http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=9393 and http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=16348 for more information about those. Note that the infinite objective must be used with another "tube lens" of length 200 mm to get rated magnification. The link I gave you for the CFI BE happens to use it with a 100 mm tube lens to give 5X instead of 10X. It still covers an APS-C sensor quite nicely, as you can see in the example.

Outside the US, beware of high shipping charges from those sources. Unfortunately at this time I don't know of any other inexpensive 10X objectives that are routinely available new, cover an APS-C sensor with good quality, and provide adequate working distance for comfortable use with front illumination of opaque subjects.

BTW, if you haven't already done so, take a careful read through our FAQ: How can I hook a microscope objective to my camera? It's a 4-page thread by this point, wanders a bit at times but still has a lot of good info even in the later sections.

--Rik

Jim McClarin

Post by Jim McClarin »

Thanks Rik. I did see the first two pages of that thread and will now read the last two. I've ordered adapters and hope to get an objective before disappearing into the Ecuadorian rain forest in my new life as an insect photographer. I'm about to order a StackShot as well. I'll go straight to Edmund Optics and check out their offerings. The finite objectives are of interest at this point. I've got bellows and extension tubes but no 200mm telephoto.

Edit: I've just ordered the Nikon Finite Conjugate 10X NA 0.25 sold by Edmund Optics: $78 + shipping.

ChrisLilley

Re: What's a Ph 1 objective?

Post by ChrisLilley »

rjlittlefield wrote: If you're in the US, then there are two inexpensive known good objectives that are commonly in stock as new parts. These are 1) the Nikon Finite Conjugate 10X NA 0.25 sold by Edmund Optics, and 2) ...
Outside the US, beware of high shipping charges from those sources.
Rik, firstly thank you for prefixing your comment with 'in the US' because it is annoyingly common to see some great item, special deal, rebate etc and then find on investigation that it is US-only.

Scondly however, the caveat may not be necessary in this case. Looking at the Edmund site and changing the country to Ireland (a handy choice for me, as the language is English and the currency is Euro) the 10x finite is €74.10. They won't tell me the postage unless I put it in my cart and check out, but the address at the foot of the page is interesting:

Edmund Optics Ltd — Unit 1, Opus Avenue, Nether Poppleton, York, YO26 6BL, UK

and indeed when I bought the 4x finite from them, it was posted from Yorkshire UK and the postage was reasonable. So purchases in Europe need not deal with transatlantic postal charges or import duties.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Excellent, thanks for that info.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic