New George Washington Dollar Coin

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

New George Washington Dollar Coin

Post by beetleman »

Just picked one of these up at the bank...first came out on Feb. 15 I think. Front and back shot. Also has writing along the thin edge with date and "In God We Trust". This coin came out of a fresh roll of coins but still looks kind of beat-up a little.

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nicely lit, Doug! It can be tough to do shiny metal so that you can see all the detail and still the thing looks shiny. These came out great! :D

--Rik

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Nice pics, Doug. For a relatively new quarter it really shows a lot of nicks, scratches, etc. I'm curious what one of those pristine, untouched quarters would look like next to it. It would be a neat experiment if you could find one. :)
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

You've done a good job with this difficult coin Doug. I'm still struggling to get the lighting right on this sort of subject :?

Bruce

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Thank you all for the great comments. I did nothing special on the lighting (I wish I could say I did :wink: ). I actually put the coin on the coffee table and used the natural light coming from the window (light coming in from the left) for the photos. Here is a picture of the edge features on this coin.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Doug - Thanks for putting up a pic of the edge feature.

Here's an interesting bit of trivia about edge-incused inscriptions:

The British £1 coin bears an edge inscription, however because the inscription is incused onto the blanks before the coins are minted, the words can appear either way up and in any position. I'm guessing that the process will be similar for this American $1 coin.

Bruce

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic