wide-angle macro-in the field

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

shinchin

wide-angle macro-in the field

Post by shinchin »

M12x0.5 mount 1.96mm fisheye + JML 21mm
Thanks for looking~~

johan

Post by johan »

Very interesting!! I do just wish the front subject was a bit sharper and had a little less of a reflection hightlight =)
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

shinchin

Post by shinchin »

johan wrote:Very interesting!! I do just wish the front subject was a bit sharper and had a little less of a reflection hightlight =)
I forgot to bring one of my diffusers for my dual lights. :?
That's why one side got reflection and the other looks fine~~ :lol:

cueben

Post by cueben »

I really like these! In particular, I've never understood why circular pictures are so rare since they are the most natural shape. I also like the uncommon effect of wide-angle macro. Have you tried stacking to get more DoF?

-Ben

abpho

Post by abpho »

Amazing examples. So different from what is normally seen. Can't wait to see where you do with this. Any ideas or changes to the hardware to improve overall quality?

shinchin

Post by shinchin »

cueben wrote:I really like these! In particular, I've never understood why circular pictures are so rare since they are the most natural shape. I also like the uncommon effect of wide-angle macro. Have you tried stacking to get more DoF?

-Ben
Ben,

Thanks for reminding me. I totally forgot stacking when I shot those. Will try that for sure.

Jack

shinchin

Post by shinchin »

abpho wrote:Amazing examples. So different from what is normally seen. Can't wait to see where you do with this. Any ideas or changes to the hardware to improve overall quality?
Abpho,

A mouth ago I asked a question in this forum
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... highlight=

For now I have tried some combinations, and Rik's analysis is correct.

case1. 1.96mm fisheye + 10X infinity objective + surplus shed 172mm tube lens + bellows: quality is good, but DOF is shallow.

case2. 1.96mm fisheye + 50mm enlarging lens reversed + bellows: DOF is much deeper than case1 but quality is aweful.

case3. 1.96mm fisheye + JML21mm finity objective + extension tube: DOF is somewhat between case1 and case2. Quality is much better than case2 but still worse than case1 IMO.

I haven't tried stacking that Ben just mentioned. Not sure what gonna happens. If stacking works fine in this type of photography, case1 may be a good choice.

Jack

Will Milne

Post by Will Milne »

Hi

Having done a lot of wide angle closeups with a 20mm Nikkor f2.8 and extension tubes I am fascinated by your approach. Having a JML 21mm f 3.5 which I have written off so far, I am excited to see another possible use for it that fits with my interests.

Any chance you could show some images of your setup? The 1.96mm lens you reference seems Googleproof.

Out of interest are the rectangular images crops of images captured as circular?

Will

abpho

Post by abpho »

Does everyone have a JML here except me? :(

I'd like to see some setup shots as well. Thanks.

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

abpho wrote:Does everyone have a JML here except me? :(

I'd like to see some setup shots as well. Thanks.
No we don't all have one. From what I hear they are now selling for about $350. :shock:

Rich

shinchin

Post by shinchin »

Hi, here are some examples of this light-weight setup.

1. overview

Setup:
Sunex DSL227A fisheye + M12 mount to C mount adapter + C mount extension ring x4 + C mount to M42 mount adapter (both female) + M42-M49 step-up ring + M49 double male ring + LW scientific digital camera adapter (49mm female thread in both sides, JML21mm included inside) + 49mm spacer ring + M49-M55 step-up ring + M55-Sony A mount adapter ring + 36mm Kenko extension tube (for Sony) + Sony A350

#1: Sunex DSL227A, 1.96mm, M12x0.5 mount (One month ago Sunex have about 10 of this lens left, now it is out-of-stock.)

#2: M12x0.5 mount to C mount adapter (purchased from Sunex as well)

#3: four C mount extension rings (search for "Macro Extension Tube Ring C-CS Mount Adapter" in ebay)

#4: C mount to M42 mount adapter ring (both C mount and M42 mount are female. Search for "C mount+ M42 lens 2in1" in ebay). I just need to adjust this ring a little bit to change the focus from the target to infinity.

#5: LW scientific digital camera adapter (49mm female thread in both sides, JML21mm included inside): introduced by John Hallmen. This adapter is as rare as JML21.

#6: 49mm thread spacer ring (36mm in height)

#7: 36mm Kenko extension tube

left: JML21mm in the adapter
right: Sunex DSL227A fisheye
Last edited by shinchin on Mon May 21, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shinchin

Post by shinchin »

Will Milne wrote: Out of interest are the rectangular images crops of images captured as circular?
Will,

The images are rectangular because of the high magnification in relay system. Just a lillte dark in four corners. I cropped the images in post-processing.

Jack

MJSfoto1956

Post by MJSfoto1956 »

keep up the good work -- not only do you have an artistic eye, but the WA provides the viewer with immediate context: as if he/she were the same size as the bug!!

MJSfoto1956

Post by MJSfoto1956 »

so are the "rectangular" images indicative of use of their "dewarper" software?

shinchin

Post by shinchin »

MJSfoto1956 wrote:so are the "rectangular" images indicative of use of their "dewarper" software?
MJSfoto,

No, I didn't use any dewarpping software. The image below is the output image from my camera without any post-processing except resizing. You can compare it with the post-processed one I uploaded above. Since the relay lens has higher magnification, we won't see any circular image.

Jack

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic