Photomicrography set-up with DSLR...Charles Krebs

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

twebster

Photomicrography set-up with DSLR...Charles Krebs

Post by twebster »

Submitted by Charles Krebs...

Here's a picture of how I have set my scopes up to do photomicrography with a digital SLR (Canon 10D). It's pretty near identical to the way it's been done for years with film SLR's. The camera is mounted on a stand above the microscope, with no physical contact between camera and microscope.

I've put together a "personal web page" that describes most of my set-up. It's still pretty basic, but has much more info than I could put in a message.

It can be accessed here:

http://www.krebsmicro.com/microsetup2/index.html

Admin edit, rjlittlefield, 2018 Dec 10, replaced broken link http://micropix.home.comcast.net/microsetup/index.html .

Biologyben

Great setup

Post by Biologyben »

This is awesome! The bellows solution is so much more simple and flexible than the interesting assembly of pvc tubes i rigged up a few years ago when when i mounted a really old canon ftql to a 1960's scope (at least it matched the age of the camera). But, i didn't have access to any plan objectives, was using no flash. Ended up being something like a 20 second exposure...it was interesting and fun tho.

Anyway ... I've got most of these parts laying around and am looking to buy a Canon 350d sometime...

A few questions. Any instructions on making the variable controller for the Vivitar? How about the mouse/remote release?

Lemme know!

Ben Shuman

rockdoctor

It's InKrebulous

Post by rockdoctor »

Drool!
This is my very first post since joining. And I want to thank you Charles for replying to some of my questions off site. I'm still searching for your recommendations on objectives. I'm gathering equipment terminally slowly but it does take time. So far I have been shooting with a Nikon D3100 & Nikor 60mm AF-S ED Macro with very nice results. I recently picked up a Canon Rebel T3i which I attached to my old trusty Zeiss DRC stereo scope. Wow! what a breeze it is using the EOS utility. My first stack from Zerenne was a very good quality picture given my inexperience, but Zerenne makes it pretty easy even for a newbie.

On the lead of someone from this forum I shopped for and found a nice Z-axis stage with 3mm of vertical travel using a micrometer that moves the stage microns at a time, I believe one rotation of the micrometer is 50 microns. Haven't got it in yet. Check Ebay here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110662903009?ss ... 1497.l2649

He has 4 more, I bid him down to $130, I think he might go lower. This will work well with my stereo scope base since I shoot pics of teeny tiny rock chips that never move. Still can't wait to find the right objective for sale!!

Cheers,

Doug
Innovation usually comes from individuals dissatisfied with the status quo.

yanyading

Post by yanyading »

Sirs, here is my solution, I use fixed stuff instead of bellows.

Flickr 上 yanyading 的 Olympus CH-2 Microscope with Tube (Projective Eyepiece Inside), Canon 350D and Angle Viewfinder.

The result is also good.

Flickr 上 yanyading 的 班氏丝虫微丝蚴

Shot with Zeiss Neoflour 63X NA1.25 + 3.3X photo eyepiece
--
UV is the Key to High Resolution Microscopy

FrancisCC

Post by FrancisCC »

Nice set up. Are you using the bellows to achieve greater magnification or merely to replace a lens system between the phototube and camera to have the image correctly on the sensor? I use a diagnostic instruments system.
Being resourceful is the key

FrancisCC

Post by FrancisCC »

yanyading wrote:Sirs, here is my solution, I use fixed stuff instead of bellows.

Flickr ? yanyading ? Olympus CH-2 Microscope with Tube (Projective Eyepiece Inside), Canon 350D and Angle Viewfinder.

The result is also good.

Flickr ? yanyading ? ???????

Shot with Zeiss Neoflour 63X NA1.25 + 3.3X photo eyepiece
That Zeiss Neofluor 63 is a great lens, I almost exclusively used it for several years research work. But I didn't own it LOL!
Being resourceful is the key

SutherlandDesmids

Post by SutherlandDesmids »

Unfortunately the description does not seem to be working.

http://micropix.home.comcast.net/microsetup/index.html

I have emailed Mr. Krebs, but I thought it might be useful to warn that I at least can't get it to work (Compaq 610, Mozilla Firefox).

Although quite elaborate and likely far beyond me, the setup seems an excellent idea and well worth studying in detail. I presume a great advantage gained by uncoupling camera and microscope is that vibration becomes a nil issue.
Patrick J.K.C. Gray

Alan Wood

Post by Alan Wood »

Patrick

Charles Krebs now has his own website:
http://www.krebsmicro.com/

An updated version of the missing page is here:
http://www.krebsmicro.com/microsetup2/index.html

Alan Wood

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks for the update, Alan. I've admin-edited the original post to provide that new URL.

--Rik

nigeldodd

Re: Photomicrography set-up with DSLR...Charles Krebs

Post by nigeldodd »

This is a very basic question. I am using a compound microscope with a single eyepiece (my father's wartime medical students' microsocpe).

I can't understand the setup with a camera and just bellows with no lens. The eye has a lens and this enables it to focus the nearly parallel rays coming from the microscope. Without a lens, how can the camera focus the rays?

Or are these modern, sophisticated microscopes different in the way they present an image to the third tube?

JKT

Post by JKT »

The ocular lens is after the image formed by the objective (or objective & tube lens for infinity type). The camera sensor catches that real image.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

nigeldodd,
The setup shown by Charles uses a special projective eyepiece (the Olympus NFK) deigned to do it.

With a normal visual eyepiece you could also do the same just raising it few millimeters or (with low magnification objectives) just re-focusing the microscope. Not ideal but working well enough is some cases.

If you focus the microscope at its normal position the eyepiece "projects" the image to infinite, so you need a camera lens focused to infinite (like your eye) to capture it; this is called afocal setup

info on afocal: https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 265#p99265
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic