Words of Doom from Down Under, NEO

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Words of Doom from Down Under, NEO

Post by Ken Ramos »

Just happened to run across this. I once read where the possibility of a NEO striking the earth was spposed to be a lot sooner, guess not but still quite possible, read on :D

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

If I'm still living, I'll be pushing 80 years old at that time...So I'll probably just go outside for the best view! Of course, some Bruce Willis wannabe will probably go up and push it off course and ruin my last great act of deficance.

A pretty good book by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle discusses the consequences and aftermath of a comet hitting the Earth. Lucifer's Hammer is worth reading....
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Mike said:
Lucifer's Hammer is worth reading....
I've read a lot of articles on the subject but never any books, so I will have to keep this one in mind next time I go to the book store. I have always read though, that the aftermath will be something to what we would consider a nuclear winter, though I really don't see how they can know that, since we have never had and hopefully never will have a nuclear winter. :-k :D

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I'll be 94 then Mike so I doubt I will still be able to run fast enough by then to get out of it's way! :lol:

daveW

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Ken Ramos wrote:Mike said:
Lucifer's Hammer is worth reading....
I've read a lot of articles on the subject but never any books, so I will have to keep this one in mind next time I go to the book store. I have always read though, that the aftermath will be something to what we would consider a nuclear winter, though I really don't see how they can know that, since we have never had and hopefully never will have a nuclear winter. :-k :D
I should clarify that Lucifer's Hammer is a fictional account (but the science is done as well as possible, and it is well worth reading!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Fiction based on fact is fine by me, as long as they do not stretch the truth. A good example is "The Day After," 1980? Where we had a nuclear exchange with Russia. The movie was fictional of course but the scenerio was factual. A good movie too, really makes you think. :shock:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic