Acineta

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RogelioMoreno

Acineta

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Here a set of Acineta images.

All with Nikon TE300 microscope, Plan Apo 20x/0.75 objective, DIC, flash and Canon T3i mounted on the TE300 front port (2x).

Rogelio

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

the last two - no words.
my FB page

I'm looking for the the extemely rare V-IM magnification changer for the E800 scope. If you have seen a listing or have one for sale please let me know.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Rogelio, Nice picture of stars collision, but be aware this is a microscopy forum and not an astrophysics one :D

The quality your are getting is just incredibile. If you don't stop posting this beauties I'm going to throw my poor DIC scope to the litter and moving to another hobby (joking again)
Pau

arturoag75

Post by arturoag75 »

No words..... :shock:
just a question: do you shot in RAW format?..your pics are so clear and brilliant that i've dubt on my T3 camera...
is there some trick in post production?? :D :?:
best and congratulation for your job!
best
Arturo

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

I'm with Pau on this one! :D Looking for a really big skip to chuck my Diaphot into! Only joking! :lol: Seriously I know now why I don't try and do more of this kind of photography and content myself mainly with prepared slides, I just can't get anywhere near the quality that Rogelio and the other DIC kings are achieving with live subjects. Someday I'll set that flash up, when I have a little more time, and a little more space ....... In the meanwhile congratulations again on some more extraordinary photos.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Rogelio,

These are great!

Very talented user, great equipment and set-up.

More than any of the images you have posted recently I think these also show what I had wondered about earlier... the benefit of having gravity working for you instead of against you. With an inverted microscope you have situations where, due to gravity, multiple key parts of the subject are right up against the coverslip. (This appears to be really obvious in your third image). With an upright you would be lucky to have one or two of the tentacles... 1) in the same focal plane, and 2) against the cover slip for best optical quality. Using wet mounts in an upright, gravity tends to pull your subject away from the best location for optical quality. Often you will have a considerable layer of water between the cover and the subject... and this can really kill the image quality of a high NA objective due to increased spherical aberration. (With live material I think this can also lead to more "flattened" and distorted subjects when the photomicrographer tries to minimize this water layer).

Most inverted microscopes I have seen are set-up with very modest (NA) condensers and no DIC capability, so it is quite a revelation to see your wonderful images.

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Litonotus,

Thank you for your comments.

Rogelio

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Pau wrote:Rogelio, Nice picture of stars collision, but be aware this is a microscopy forum and not an astrophysics one :D

The quality your are getting is just incredibile. If you don't stop posting this beauties I'm going to throw my poor DIC scope to the litter and moving to another hobby (joking again)
Pau, let me know if you trow it (to go and pick up it for me, joking). :lol:

Thank you very much for your kindly words.

Rogelio
Last edited by RogelioMoreno on Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

arturoag75 wrote:No words..... :shock:
just a question: do you shot in RAW format?..your pics are so clear and brilliant that i've dubt on my T3 camera...
is there some trick in post production?? :D :?:
best and congratulation for your job!
best
Arturo
Arturo, yes I shot in RAW.

I always try to get that maximum dynamic range that I can, with my DIC setup you get maximum dynamic range at maximum extinction (I think that it is normal of all DIC system); but at maximum extinction the background is dark and some subjects look weird, you have to move a little away from maximum extinction to get a balanced image.

I normally do the following:
- Convert the RAW to tiff.
- Crop the image to get a closer look to the subject.
- Contrast adjustment.
- Color cast correction (when necesary).
- Use the spot healing tool to remove unwanted particules.
- Sharpening.
- Noise reduction.
- Save the tiff.
- Resize to half (or less) and save as jpg.

Rogelio

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Cactusdave,

Thank you for your comments.

Rogelio

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Charles Krebs wrote:Rogelio,

These are great!

Very talented user, great equipment and set-up.

More than any of the images you have posted recently I think these also show what I had wondered about earlier... the benefit of having gravity working for you instead of against you. With an inverted microscope you have situations where, due to gravity, multiple key parts of the subject are right up against the coverslip. (This appears to be really obvious in your third image). With an upright you would be lucky to have one or two of the tentacles... 1) in the same focal plane, and 2) against the cover slip for best optical quality. Using wet mounts in an upright, gravity tends to pull your subject away from the best location for optical quality. Often you will have a considerable layer of water between the cover and the subject... and this can really kill the image quality of a high NA objective due to increased spherical aberration. (With live material I think this can also lead to more "flattened" and distorted subjects when the photomicrographer tries to minimize this water layer).

Most inverted microscopes I have seen are set-up with very modest (NA) condensers and no DIC capability, so it is quite a revelation to see your wonderful images.
Charles,

Excellent observation, now we know other advantage of the inverted scope.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Rogelio

arturoag75

Post by arturoag75 »

Many thanks for explanation! :D
arturo

Jean-marc

Post by Jean-marc »

Hi

Amazing photo !
TY for your explanation.

Jean-Marc