Fotodiox

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

robwat

Fotodiox

Post by robwat »

Anyone using the Fotodiox bellows? I would appreciate any info on quality usage proand cons. I would like to use the with Canon R5/R7. I would also be interested in how other users handle the dust issue. Thanks in advance

ray_parkhurst

Re: Fotodiox

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I had one of these a few years ago to test the quality and was very unimpressed. It's mostly plastic and not at all rigid. Fotodiox is just a reseller brand, ie they did not make the bellows, just put their name on it. Not sure what Chinese company makes these. This type also has only one adjustment for the lens, so is not very flexible.

One of the major issues with all bellows is the minimum extension. If you plan to use short FL lenses, then the minimum extension will limit the minimum magnification you can achieve. This is more an issue with DSLRs as mirrorless have shorter register (distance from sensor to mount) so the total extension is less.

I personally use the Vivitar bellows for most of my work, as it has a shorter-than-most minimum extension. For even shorter extension you can replace the lens adapter with one from Raf. I had Raf make both DT48-M39 (for M39 enlarger lenses) and DT48-M40 (for the Tominon lens series) in order to eliminate the extra extension caused by lens adapters. But if minimum extension is not an issue, then it's easy to get adapters for both the camera and lens since the Vivitar bellows are T-Mount (M42x0.75) on both ends.

You may want to get a focus rail to go with the bellows. Vivitar marketed a matched focus rail for the bellows that will give you that "3rd" adjustment capability, but the focus rail attachment is often in need of stiffening. Even without the focus rail, you will at least be able to adjust both the front and rear standards (mounts) for moving camera and lens independently.

robwat

Post by robwat »

Hi Ray,
thanks for the info very useful
Bob

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Fotodiox is just a reseller brand, ie they did not make the bellows, just put their name on it.
I expect this is true in the case of the bellows. But Fotodiox at least used to design and make many of its own products. Back when the Fotodiox WonderPana Filter Holder for Nikon 14-24mm was introduced--some years ago--I bought one and wrote a review for another online forum. As part of the review, I interviewed Fotodiox's founder/owner. IIRC, he had five employees in the US and about 50 in China. He insightfully answered questions I had about the design of the product, and told me about iterations he had tried before marketing it. I was impressed with the gentleman.

I hope he's still at the helm, but I haven't checked.

--Chris S.

robwat

Post by robwat »

Hi Chris
Thanks for the info

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic