Managing Backgrounds in Macro

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Managing Backgrounds in Macro

Post by Dalantech »

Let me kick this one off by saying that you can simply let the background go black due to flash falloff. But the suspension of disbelief applies to still images (not just video) and some people will look at your photos and they will not be able to relax and enjoy the shot because "That insect is not active at night". I would add that the background is important and can make an image better. Last, but not least, letting the background go black due to flash fall off is "macro on easy mode" and if it is easy then anyone can, and will, do it. So if you want to make your images stand out managing the background is a good start.

First up is using something to reflect the light from the flash back into the camera. There are lots of materials you can use, and my go to backgrounds are a set of artificial flowers that I gaffers taped together.

ImageArtificial Flowers by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Simply rotate them to select the background color, and place them a few centimeters behind the subject. The petals keep the background from being completely flat. The blue one is a new addition to the bunch, and here is the first shot I took using it.

Tech Specs: Canon 90D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -1 FEC. This is a single, slightly cropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Clarity and Denoise AI in that order.

ImageFemale European Blue Mason Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

That is one of my European Blue Mason Bees, newly emerged and foraging on a Dandelion that I had I was holding in my non-camera hand. As she moved I turned the flower to keep her looking into the camera and tried to get a shot. Lots of deleted frames cause it is tough to track a moving subject at 2x.

Compare the shot above to an actual blue sky:

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/125, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT , E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. ISO and shutter set to expose for the natural light in the background.

ImagePollen Covered Mining Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I kinda like the flower background more cause it is not smooth.

Another way to keep the background from going black is to set the shutter and the ISO to expose the natural light in the background. I usually pick an area where I am going to shoot and look around through the view finder taking light meter readings. The background can under expose by over two stops and you will still get some detail in it. Also under exposing the background will cause the colors to saturate and it is the one time when shooting in brutally harsh sun works really well. Just be sure to shade the subject.

Tech Specs: Canon 90D (F11, 1/100, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 1x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -2/3 FEC. This is a single, slightly cropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Clarity and Denoise AI in that order. Shutter and ISO set to expose the background.

ImageForaging Honeybee V by John Kimbler, on Flickr

The only thing you gotta watch out for is "ghosting" that is caused by foreground movement, while the shutter is open, that causes the background to under expose. If you look at the back, lower, edge of the wing in the foreground you can see what I mean. It is not too noticeable in that shot, but it can be a composition buzz kill. In this next shot it is really bad:

ImageBumblebee in Lavender III by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Had the shutter set to 1/30 and it was just too slow.

Setting the shutter to 1/125 and the ISO to 200 seems to work pretty well all the way up to 3x mag. At lower magnifications it does not take much natural light, and as long as nothing is close to the subject you can get some good background blur.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/125, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 1x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -1 FEC. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. ISO and shutter speed set to expose for the natural light in the background.

ImageFeeding Butterfly by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Even a nearby stone wall can make a nice background:

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to a little over 1x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageLong Horned Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Any questions, or anything that I missed?

joshmacro

Re: Managing Backgrounds in Macro

Post by joshmacro »

Nice images John. I find the background of the Feeding Butterfly most pleasing. That background looks like there are hexagonal bokeh balls, but there is dreamlike quality to it which is very nice that goes very well with the subject.

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

joshmacro wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:58 pm
Nice images John. I find the background of the Feeding Butterfly most pleasing. That background looks like there are hexagonal bokeh balls, but there is dreamlike quality to it which is very nice that goes very well with the subject.
Thanks! I like the way that one looks as well.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very good. A trick that I use sometimes is to have a selection of paint swatches (free), purloined from a hardware store. Of course the area they cover will be small, and one must plan for that.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:20 am
Very good. A trick that I use sometimes is to have a selection of paint swatches (free), purloined from a hardware store. Of course the area they cover will be small, and one must plan for that.
Sounds like a really good idea!

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

I have been working a lot on mixing light sources -using a flash to expose a shaded subject and set the ISO and shutter to expose for the natural light in the background. Managed to find a semi-cooperative subject today.

ImageForaging Honeybee VI by John Kimbler, on Flickr

colohank

Post by colohank »

Relying on a flash fall-off to create a black background is a choice that's not necessarily based on esthetics or ease of use. An academic, for example, may find a more natural color background distracting when the purpose of an image is to call attention to the structure and details of a subject. Furthermore, not all subjects are natural. Would a sky-blue or a faux-foliage background for a tiny machine-part be appropriate?

In a studio or lab setting, however, there are abundant other ways to create a color background that you didn't mention. Among them: use a flash and gel to project a color on a white background. It's easy to create a pattern of color and adjust depth of color independent of subject illumination by adjusting flash aim and output. Another is to use an RGBw LED color panel as a background directly or to illuminate a white background for color effect. You can readily dial-in both hue and color depth. The repurposed innards of a digital picture frame can also be used to produce a color background. Loading a bunch of different color slides or effects (gravel, clouds, water, grass or other foliage, etc.) on an SD card and using the frame's controls to cycle through them is easy, though it may be more difficult to achieve consistent results because display brightness often isn't adjustable. Very pale color and effect renditions work best owing to the relatively low output of the display.

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

colohank wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:22 am
Relying on a flash fall-off to create a black background is a choice that's not necessarily based on esthetics or ease of use. An academic, for example, may find a more natural color background distracting when the purpose of an image is to call attention to the structure and details of a subject. Furthermore, not all subjects are natural. Would a sky-blue or a faux-foliage background for a tiny machine-part be appropriate?

In a studio or lab setting, however, there are abundant other ways to create a color background that you didn't mention. Among them: use a flash and gel to project a color on a white background. It's easy to create a pattern of color and adjust depth of color independent of subject illumination by adjusting flash aim and output. Another is to use an RGBw LED color panel as a background directly or to illuminate a white background for color effect. You can readily dial-in both hue and color depth. The repurposed innards of a digital picture frame can also be used to produce a color background. Loading a bunch of different color slides or effects (gravel, clouds, water, grass or other foliage, etc.) on an SD card and using the frame's controls to cycle through them is easy, though it may be more difficult to achieve consistent results because display brightness often isn't adjustable. Very pale color and effect renditions work best owing to the relatively low output of the display.
When I take a photo I do it from the perspective of how the viewer is going to interpret the image. Letting the background go black due to flash fall off, 99% of the time, is a mistake. You can get away with it more often when photographing people than you can photographing insects. Perception is king...
Last edited by Dalantech on Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

colohank

Post by colohank »

I wouldn't presume to know how viewers might react to an image. Each viewer is an individual with unique interests, tastes, and sensibilities.

I have to confess, though, that when I look at your photos in this thread, my eyes are drawn to the detail of the bees more than the color of the background. But that's just me.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

I wouldn't presume to know how viewers might react to an image. Each viewer is an individual with unique interests, tastes, and sensibilities.
While not disagreeing with the second sentence above, I’d challenge the first. Isn’t a fundamental element of photography to understand how people will react, so we can create images that people will react to in the ways we want? (And if we don’t want a reaction from the viewer, why bother making the image?)
When I take a photo I do it from the perspective of how the viewer is going to interpret the image. Letting the background go black due to flash fall off, 99% of the time, it a mistake.
I agree entirely, first with consideration of the viewers’ interpretation. And that the “bug in the flashlight” look is a phase best worked through quickly.

Have enjoyed following this thread, Dalantech. :D

--Chris S.

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

colohank wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:22 pm

I have to confess, though, that when I look at your photos in this thread, my eyes are drawn to the detail of the bees more than the color of the background. But that's just me.
Most likely your eyes go back to the detail in the subject because the background is not distracting you, something that could happen if it was just black due to flash fall off. I do not try to make my images look natural, but I do try to keep them from looking unnatural so the viewer can just relax and enjoy the image.

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

Chris S. wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:26 pm
While not disagreeing with the second sentence above, I’d challenge the first. Isn’t a fundamental element of photography to understand how people will react, so we can create images that people will react to in the ways we want? (And if we don’t want a reaction from the viewer, why bother making the image?)
When I take a photo I do it from the perspective of how the viewer is going to interpret the image. Letting the background go black due to flash fall off, 99% of the time, it a mistake.
I agree entirely, first with consideration of the viewers’ interpretation. And that the “bug in the flashlight” look is a phase best worked through quickly.

Have enjoyed following this thread, Dalantech. :D

--Chris S.
High praise from a shooter of your skill, thanks! 8)

Had great weather yesterday because it was partly cloudy and windy. When the sun went behind the clouds it was like nature throwing a switch and everything slowed down. Also easier to grab onto the critter's perch without spooking them cause the breeze masked the vibration I was causing. But had a hard time finding a patch of blue sky to use as a background. Not much of a concern with this next shot, but I still like that what little background their is behind the Dandelion isn't black.

ImageForaging Mining Bee V by John Kimbler, on Flickr

bobfriedman

Post by bobfriedman »

very nice work.. beautiful images.

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

bobfriedman wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:19 am
very nice work.. beautiful images.
Thanks!