"Small aperture technique" according to "gardenersassistant"

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pawelfoto

Post by pawelfoto »

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43531
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43567&p=274036#p274036
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43597&p=274160#p274160
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43581

Once again, I would like to express my admiration for the results of Nick's work. It's helpful, that whole workflow is described in such detail.
I decided to go this way. I tried to meet all the parameters. I used Laowa 100mm 2x, Kenko teleconverer2x, 24ex twin flash with a similar diffuser, aperture 36. The only changes are full power flash, ISO 100 and a different camera - canon 5dMkIV. My effects are far from the achievements of Nick. I am asking for advice on whether I should try to change something in the shooting setup, or whether my postprocessing is bad. I ask anyone who wants and can to download the original and try to develop it according to your methods. Please post a reply with your results. Then I will be able to see what effect I should get and maybe you can tell me how to do it. Here is a link to the original RAW: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18KOVEJ ... sp=sharing
== thanks Pawel
Attachments
my photo development: Camera Raw PS + Topaz denoise & sharpening
my photo development: Camera Raw PS + Topaz denoise & sharpening
jpg from non developed RAW
jpg from non developed RAW

pawelfoto

Re: "Small aperture technique" according to "gardenersassistant"

Post by pawelfoto »

I have to say it wasn't an easy session. Everything moves and runs away, it is difficult to find focus, the hand hurts after several minutes. My equipment is really heavy (5dIV), so I successfully used a monopod with a ball head. In this way, I held the camera and operated the shutter with one hand, and with the other hand I stabilized the plant with fast moving objects. I could use the full power speedlite with impunity because I connected it to the Godox CP-80 battery pack. It is cheap and allows you to shoot continuously.
== thanks, Paweł

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I dunno, that seems to have gone rather well.

gardenersassistant

Post by gardenersassistant »

pawelfoto wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:25 pm
I have to say it wasn't an easy session. Everything moves and runs away, it is difficult to find focus, the hand hurts after several minutes. My equipment is really heavy (5dIV), so I successfully used a monopod with a ball head. In this way, I held the camera and operated the shutter with one hand,
Oh, that is difficult. No wonder your hand hurt.
pawelfoto wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:25 pm
and with the other hand I stabilized the plant with fast moving objects. I could use the full power speedlite with impunity because I connected it to the Godox CP-80 battery pack. It is cheap and allows you to shoot continuously.
Do you still have several seconds recycle time?
Nick

Flickr
Blog
Journey since 2007

Rework and reposts of my images posted in this forum are always welcome, especially if they come with an explanation of what you did and how you did it.

gardenersassistant

pawelfoto wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:08 pm
I ask anyone who wants and can to download the original and try to develop it according to your methods. Please post a reply with your results. Then I will be able to see what effect I should get and maybe you can tell me how to do it. Here is a link to the original RAW: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18KOVEJ ... sp=sharing
== thanks Pawel
I used my usual processing. Here is the 1300 pixel high JPEG I got. It is shown here at 1024 wide to keep within forum guidelines. You'll need to click through to Flickr to see/download the 1300 pixel high version.

I have no idea what the white balance should be. I haven't altered what my processing uses, which is calibrated for my flash and diffusers, so it may look rather odd.

Obviously, how an image looks best is a very personal matter. So it is what looks good to you that matters here as it is your image.

NOT MY IMAGE - Pawel ant 1 2A0A0205_PLab4 LR 1300h DNAI DNAIc by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Here is it resized to the 1024 pixel wide version you posted. This is an animated gif and hopefully you will see it alternate every 1.5 seconds between your version and mine.

NOT MY IMAGE Pawel ant by gardenersassistant, on Flickr
Nick

Flickr
Blog
Journey since 2007

Rework and reposts of my images posted in this forum are always welcome, especially if they come with an explanation of what you did and how you did it.

gardenersassistant

Scarodactyl wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:37 pm
I dunno, that seems to have gone rather well.
That's what I thought too.
Nick

Flickr
Blog
Journey since 2007

pawelfoto

Post by pawelfoto »

Thank you Nick. Your sharpening is much better. You're right about the colors. My white balance was 6500, also curves adjustment changed the tones. As for flash after a day of shooting with the Godox CP-80 battery pack recharging time was 1-2 sec at 1/1power, 1/2-1 sec at 1/2power and approx. 1/4 sec with 1/4 power. I use black Panasonic eneloop pro. The powerbank can be put in your pocket
== best, Pawel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic