Shooting Critters Tips and Tricks

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Shooting Critters Tips and Tricks

Post by Dalantech »

The first thing I'm gonna tell you is to forget everything you've been told about shooting macro, cause odds are a lot of what you think you know is wrong. What you know about the subject's habits and quirks, and their willingness to let you get close, will determine if you get the shot you're trying to take. The images that I'm going to use for this post were actually made easier due to using short focal length macro lenses in the 60mm focal range, and by using a flash to freeze any residual motion. For natural light work at 1x and higher mag it's easier to use a longer focal length lens just to give yourself more room to work. There is no such thing as a "bug lens".

It's not unusual for some solitary bees to sleep out in the open. Male bees will frequently camp out in area where females are gathering resources. I'll sometimes go looking for resting bees in the late afternoon, make note of where they bed down, and then go back and shoot them in the morning when it's cool so I'll have more time to work before they wake up.

ImageEuropean Wool Carder Bee III by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Early in the day, when it's still cool and the critter's are trying to get their metabolism going, is an excellent time to go looking for something to photograph. Bonus if it's early spring and the weather is partly cloudy. As soon as the clouds are casting a shadow any insect that relies on the heat of the sun is going to slow down, giving you a chance to get close.

ImageSweat Bee VIII by John Kimbler, on Flickr

A heavy dew can also provide opportunities to find a lethargic target. As the water evaporates it cools the critter down, and makes it difficult for them to get active.

ImageMetallic Beetle by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Lots of wind? No problem, cause the vibration induced by the breeze can mask the vibration you make when you grab onto the stem of a flower to keep it from moving. This female Seat Bee was hyperactive but didn't notice me at all.

ImageSweat Bee Foraging in a Sourgrass Flower IV by John Kimbler, on Flickr

If they do notice just gently twist the stem of the flower to rotate it so that the critter is facing the camera.

ImageSweat Bee in a Sourgrass Flower VI by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Some insects are very territorial, and even if you spook them they'll come back to their perch. I took this shot in the heat of the day, when this male Violet Darter was actively hunting.

ImageViolet Darter VII by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Look for critters that are preoccupied. If they're busy feeding or mating they're a lot easier to approach.

ImageMating 22 Spot Ladybugs IV by John Kimbler, on Flickr

If you find a lethargic subject keep the lens close. Sometimes they'll wake up and resume what they were doing before they went dormant.

ImageFeeding Sawfly by John Kimbler, on Flickr

See a hyperactive critter and think that you can't get close? Sometimes they're more hungry than afraid.

ImageBeetle Eating Daisy Pollen by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Last, but not least, you could inject sugar syrup into a flower with a syringe to give a critter a reason to let you get close.

ImageWorking in a Wallflower by John Kimbler, on Flickr

The most important thing is to have patience, not just with the subjects that you're trying to photograph but also with yourself. After 15 years of shooting macro I'm still lucky to get close enough to take a shot after a dozen attempts or more. The key is to keep trying...

MarkSturtevant

Re: Shooting Critters Tips and Tricks

Post by MarkSturtevant »

All very good tips! I think I've done just about everything here, except for the sleeping bee trick. I rarely see those. But getting a close up of a male carder bee is not easy! Those are now imported into the U.S., and they were a major puzzle for me a few years ago when I first saw one. They are easily the most agile, speedy bee I had ever seen. More like a hover fly on amphetamines in their behavior!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:52 am
All very good tips! I think I've done just about everything here, except for the sleeping bee trick. I rarely see those. But getting a close up of a male carder bee is not easy! Those are now imported into the U.S., and they were a major puzzle for me a few years ago when I first saw one. They are easily the most agile, speedy bee I had ever seen. More like a hover fly on amphetamines in their behavior!
I was bating them on some flowers...

ImageBees in a Wallflower Series 1-2 by John Kimbler, on Flickr

...and they are smart, really smart, so once they figured out that I had the sweet stuff it wasn't all that difficult to hand feed them....

ImageFeeding Common Carder Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

The more you understand their habits and quirks the easier it is to get the photos you want to take...

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

A similar thing I've done is to use the wind-fall apples from the several apple trees we have in our back yard. They get nibbled open by the squirrels, ferment, and then come the yellow jackets and assorted other wasps. They sometimes seem rather intoxicated ...

But those are stunning pictures. Remarkable.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:18 pm
A similar thing I've done is to use the wind-fall apples from the several apple trees we have in our back yard. They get nibbled open by the squirrels, ferment, and then come the yellow jackets and assorted other wasps. They sometimes seem rather intoxicated ...
I've seen the same thing at my mother in laws farm. They really like the figs.
MarkSturtevant wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:18 pm
But those are stunning pictures. Remarkable.
Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic