Samsung NX1 e-shutter

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ben

Samsung NX1 e-shutter

Post by Ben »

I use my Samsung NX1 body for photomacrography. Without the Samsung lens attached, the e-shutter cannot be chosen. This leads to severe unsharpness when using 40x objectives or higher. Is anyone aware of a means to engage the e-shutter with no lens attached? An adapter without contacts is fitted.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Samsung NX1 e-shutter

Post by Chris S. »

Ben,

I don't know the answer to your question, but since no one else has taken a shot, I'll share a few ideas, some of which you've likely already considered.

First, I shoot high-magnification macro without electronic shutter, using continuous illumination. To keep shutter-induced vibration from softening the images, I use an 8-second exposure. Since shutter vibration softens only the first quarter-second or so of the exposure, it doesn't contribute anything noticeable to the final image. On my system, I determined this 8-second figure by testing a series of shorter and longer exposure times; shorter times were softer, but longer times were no different from 8 seconds.

Second, is it possible for you to find an adapter with contacts, or make one by transplanting contacts from a derelict lens? Long ago, I recall mimicking contacts with aluminum tape, but today's cameras are probably too sophisticated for that.

Third, there appear to be hacks out there for your camera. In my quick look, the ones I saw did not appear to easily solve your issue, but I didn't look at nearly all of them. My Google search term was "NX1 hacks".

Cool that you have a camera that is pretty much built to hack. Bummer that Samsung turned off electronic shutter for other brands of lenses, though.

--Chris S.

Adalbert

Re: Samsung NX1 e-shutter

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Chris,
First, I shoot high-magnification macro without electronic shutter, using continuous illumination.
I shoot high-magnification macro with full electronic shutter and flash betwenn the curtains.
And without electronic shutter on the second curtain.

BTW, I use the continuous illumination for the internal focus bracketing.

Best,
ADi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic