Micro wide angle

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

patta

Micro wide angle

Post by patta »

Hi all,
I've been experimenting to make macro/micro with wide angle; maybe a little nearer than the Laowa 24mm probe or the CCTV-lens-on-relay.
If you know of proven techniques and setups, let me know!

Couldn't find all informations in one place, so I am trying to collect a description of the methods and limitations, but just the introduction keeps inflating... and the initial enthusiasm may fade soon. You can read it and I will be honored by comments, criticism or requests.
https://patta107285337.wordpress.com/micro-fisheye/

Short summary:
We can go extremely near and quite wide with "forward pupil" objectives. Up to 50mm :!: working distance at high mag
Total resolution (megapixels) falls if we go nearer than 1mm (point of view-subject), due to diffraction.
Several unexpected lenses can be (ab)used as wide angle macro; I found three in my house!
I'd like support to design/crowdfund an objective optimized for the purpose.

Giorgio

patta

Re: Micro wide angle

Post by patta »

I wrap up today this project, maybe will continue in a couple of months. The webpage is partially complete.
If somebody of you is also astronomer and happen to have luxury eyepieces, I invite you to try this new application!
Or, for the same purpose, if you have a microscope with Bertrand lens or "collimating telescope", well, that is another way.

Giorgio

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

This is very cool stuff. I'll admit though I have some trouble picturing the type of pictures this would be best for (aside from maybe a 90s style educational rap video for ants?) Still seems like interesting territory to explore.

patta

Post by patta »

Well, if this stuff is actually "useful", I believe, depends just from the amount of fun we can get by playing with it. Rap ants videos, that could come out cool, depending on the soundtrack!
The macro-wide photos are fun (for a while); not as detailed as we could get from flat objectives, but for nature photos in the environment,
the small bugs look majestic when pictured from near with a wide perspective.

I've started this micro fisheye endeavor just to achieve the "inside the insect eye" shot, which for me was worth it; then migrated toward lower magnifications, bringing along the extra working distance of the forward-pupil objectives. This additional working distance may find uses for macros in the wild, not necessarily super-wide. Sorry I don't have many photos to show: most of my hobby enjoyment comes from fiddling with the optics by themselves, while actual shooting and post-processing, I'm not very good at those.
The techniques are actually useful and used in industry, with endoscopes and borescopes that are essentially a small macro-wide objective on the tip of a stick.

An example of macro-fisheye shots (not mine!)
https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id= ... xt=fisheye
The educational video for ants ("how to clean your nest and avoid diseases") rapped by Attenborough (plays only with IP address in UK)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05rgrcb

Thagomizer

Post by Thagomizer »

A nice collection of information to refer to and check out. Thank you for posing this!

Argu

Post by Argu »

Hi Giorgio,

Have you seen this link,
http://forum.mflenses.com/relay-lens-sy ... 18103.html

Also frazier lens (infinity lens) might be interesting.
Or the probe lenses for advertising works or miniature in vein cameras.
Yesterday i was thinking how interesting would it be to emulate how a fly or insect sees. Today i saw your post. Very interesting topic. Would wish to see the outcomes of your interesting project.
Best luck and thank you for your inventious and genial mind.
Argu

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic