Observation cells

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

davholla

Observation cells

Post by davholla »

Apologies for the long question
I recently read the book "Extreme close up photography and focus stacking"
http://www.crowood.com/details.asp?isbn=9781847977199

One idea he had was to make glass observation cells and the results are quite good.
Obviously not essential for ground based inverts but for aquatic like this essential.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/123213588 ... 86608@N08/
(not my photo hence why I linked it)
However
a) I don't like the idea of making these
b) I often travel abroad to visit family. This photo IMHO could have been a lot better if it had been in clear plastic/glass box.
ImageIMG_9616_1dragonflynymph by davholla2002, on Flickr
However where I took it was 4 flights,2 buses and a 30 min jeep flight from my home and a glass box might not have survived the journey

So are there any plastic boxes that could be used? What do people think about these ones?
https://www.bagsxl.com/giftboxes-crysta ... lb216.html
Has anyone tried something like this in either glass or plastic and got any useful advice?

The ideal solution would be a plastic box that comes with some sort of food free, but I doubt that would be good enough quality.

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Are you looking to capture and collect or just capture and photograph? If the latter, then those photo holders are not going to be great as all these plastics have minute ripples that will affect resolution unless you use some optical grade plexiglass. Even then you need to keep them protected from micro scratches, which is difficult at best.

One option would be to make a small shallow plexi box with silicone sealer like fishtanks are made with, and a small piece of 2mm picture frame glass as a viewing lid. Any framing store can supply whatever size you need. The box will be sturdy and the glass can be protected with a piece of hardboard the same size taped to it until ready for use. Put the samples in, take a roll of 1" masking tape or similar to hold the glass on top and take pics. A polarizer may be necessary to cut out reflections.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Microscope slides and cover slips also make nice "micro aquaria" for photography. Multiple beads of silicone adhesive sealant (can be from the hardware store, not necessarily aquarium store) can be built up not only to stick the glass together, but provide the necessary depth.

Davholla, why don't you like the idea of making these? It's actually rather quick and easy.

--Chris

davholla

Post by davholla »

Chris S. wrote:Microscope slides and cover slips also make nice "micro aquaria" for photography. Multiple beads of silicone adhesive sealant (can be from the hardware store, not necessarily aquarium store) can be built up not only to stick the glass together, but provide the necessary depth.

Davholla, why don't you like the idea of making these? It's actually rather quick and easy.

--Chris
I will have to try those.
Here are my first attempts with photographic slides which I cleaned with bleach and then washed
ImageEF7A2324mosquitolarva by davholla2002, on Flickr

ImageEF7A2396gnatlarva by davholla2002, on Flickr

ImageEF7A2381wormv2 by davholla2002, on Flickr

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

That seems to be working pretty well. Nicely done!

davholla

Post by davholla »

Thanks, hopefully I can do some more soon. I have bought a really powerful torch to get better illumination and I am thinking about getting some coloured cards to improve the back light. I am not sure which colour would be best.

boomblurt

Post by boomblurt »

There's a few other ideas here : http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... rium1.html

And I've seen large microscope slides (3"x2") held between small bulldog clips with strips of rubber used to space and seal the sides and bottom.
Geoff

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic