New System Can Alter Focal Length from Single Exposure

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DQE

New System Can Alter Focal Length from Single Exposure

Post by DQE »

An interesting news item, provoking my personal skepticism as well as my curiosity:

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototip ... osure.html

Does anyone have any information about this system? I couldn't find anything on Google about the "Focal Length Consortium". The above article wasn't very convincing to me, and it seems to be lacking in detail.

Best wishes,

Phil
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Somehow I suspect that this was intended for release on April 1.

A snippet from near the end of the article...
It's not entirely clear how the Focal Field System works but somehow by means of what the patent text refers to as "cropping" one can take an image shot at a wider focal length and trim all four sides by equal proportion to produce an image that has the identical framing of one originally shot with a longer focal length. Imagine taking a shot made with a 50mm lens and "cropping" it so that it comes out the same as one shot with a 100mm lens. And the trick works with any type of image regardless of subject matter or exposure.
--Rik

DQE

Post by DQE »

Rik,

You're correct - it *does* sound like an April Fool's joke!

I wonder if the Lytro camera enthusiasts are active in this project, assuming it's not an intentional joke? Just a thought.

It's surely more than a little improbable for a consortium allegedly involving major vendors to have zero Google search results.
-Phil

johan

Post by johan »

This sentence in the article rather gives it away fellas :)
On condition of anonymity, Mr. Primeiro de Abril, a general partner at the Consortium's offices in Tolos
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

DQE

Post by DQE »

johan wrote:This sentence in the article rather gives it away fellas :)
On condition of anonymity, Mr. Primeiro de Abril, a general partner at the Consortium's offices in Tolos
That should teach me not to skim-read past text in a language other than English!
-Phil

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Hah! I don't recall getting far enough to even see that name. Might not have recognized it anyway.

BTW, I am amused to note that there's more than a grain of relevance in that April Fool's joke. When the first really dense smart phone camera came out, almost 40 megapixels, I recall reading that one of the justifications for so many pixels was that it allowed really good digital zoom. Perhaps even more extreme, I personally have been known to mount up an 8 mm fisheye for snapshooting at certain events, not because I want the strange geometry, but because I know that no matter how wide a rectilinear lens I wish I'd been using, I can recreate the same image minus some quality by post-processing to correct for the fisheye distortion and crop as desired.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic