Mounting question

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Andreas Wistuba

Mounting question

Post by Andreas Wistuba »

Hello,
after having played mainly with plant surfaces over the last months I tried my first insect stack today. An ant portrait. While I am ok technically with the result it nearly drove me crazy to mount the ant on a needle.
It was freshly killed and I could not get it sticking on a needle in a way that I could nicely portrait it. Filnally - completely exhausted and frustrated from many trials ad several ants being covered in glue I took the scalpel and chopped off the head. I needled it from the back of the head.
While it sort of worked I am absolutely not happy with the procedure...there must be more effective ways...?
How do you mount insects, mainly to shoot portraits?
All the best
Andreas

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Mounting question

Post by rjlittlefield »

Andreas Wistuba wrote:Finally ... I took the scalpel and chopped off the head. I needled it from the back of the head.
To produce the image that you did -- an isolated head surrounded by uniform background -- the procedure that you eventually followed was probably the best way to solve the problem.

I understand your frustration. Isolating small bits can be infuriatingly difficult. But as far as I know, needles and glue are still the main methods. They get quite a lot easier if you can work under a low power stereo microscope.

Perhaps other people can offer better alternatives.

--Rik

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

Other than needles, there is also point mounting. You just take a piece of sturdy paper, and cut an appropriate sized triangle. Then glue the specimen to the tip of the paper. Here is an illustration http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/401Boo ... ll_insects

Personally I have switched to point mounting from just raw pins. I find it much easier to set the specimen upside down, put a tiny dab a adhesive onto the tip of paper, and rest the point down onto he specimen till it dries. So long as you are careful you should be able to avoid getting the mount in most images.

Andreas Wistuba

Post by Andreas Wistuba »

Hello,
thank you very much for your input!
I'll try my best.
All the best
Andreas

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpyNnh1w0_g

The link above is to a youtube video that includes a view of me mounting a bug. That starts at time 2:38 and runs for about a minute.

I darken a toothpick with a black magic marker. I place the bug on a clean plastic (disposable) surface. I moisten the tip of the toothpick with super glue. I use the "gel" type with a bit higher viscosity as it dries more quickly and does not run or wick where it does not belong. I then bring the tip of the toothpick with the glue to the bug and carefully touch the legs. With the small flies I photograph, I can easily ensnare 3-4 legs in the glue. The surface tension of the glue usually pulls the legs to be parallel with the toothpick. I allow the glue to dry for a few seconds, occasionally puffing gently with some warm breath on the joint to aid in drying. I then check the mounted insect under my dissecting scope to look for dust, lint or other imperfections in the bug's appearance that can be easily remedied. Then off to the camera...

Hope this helps!

Keith

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

i like to use 1/2 moon carpet needles..makes it easy to get the subject inside my light diffuser without the mount in the way...
Just shoot it......

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

sometimes helps if you put a tiny spot of glue (white or cyanoacrylate) on the end of a pin before you stick it in - can stop your subject slipping on the pin.
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

SONYNUT wrote:i like to use 1/2 moon carpet needles..makes it easy to get the subject inside my light diffuser without the mount in the way...
Do you mean something like a semicircular upholstery needle ?
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic