Book (2010): "Digital photography for science" by Enrico Savazzi

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Book (2010): "Digital photography for science" by Enrico Savazzi

Post by rjlittlefield »

I am pleased to announce the publication of a new book by one of our own members:

Digital photography for science
Close-up photography, macrophotography and photomacrography

by Enrico Savazzi

More information can be found at http://savazzi.freehostia.com/dp.htm.

Cribbing from that site:
The scientific photography of small subjects encompasses the domains of close-up photography, macrophotography and photomacrography, and is a primary documentation tool in many research fields.

This book concentrates on the choice and practical use of digital cameras, lenses and related equipment of types commonly available at research institutions and museums. The described techniques are suitable for subject sizes between approximately half a millimeter and half a meter, and differ from those used in general photography and microscopy.

The intended audience of this book includes professional scientific photographers, scientists and students who need to carry out photography in support of their own research or as part-time scientific photographers at a research institution, and advanced amateur photographers who wish to master these techniques.

The book consists of 704 pages and 161 black-and-white illustrations. It is printed on 6" by 9" cream paper (60# weight). The hardcover edition has a full-color dust jacket.

Where to buy it: You can purchase this book online from the Lulu online shop:
Hardcover edition, in a durable binding (ISBN 978-0-557-91133-2), or
Paperback edition, cheaper (ISBN 978-0-557-92537-7). The contents are identical.
I had the pleasure of reviewing portions of this book in draft. There is a lot of information in it, including some that was new to me. Check it out. :D

--Rik

Michael61

Post by Michael61 »

Hello Rik,

I bought this book recently and I'm fascinated. I belive that's the bible of modern photomacrography. He wrote in the introduction about a pdf with additionally pictures. Unfortunately this link is broken. So I still miss this pdf.
Are you still in contact with enrico, could you ask him about the pdf mentioned in his book?

Best regards
Michael

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

Enrico is an active member of this forum.

I tried the link just now, (starting from the link in Rik's post, then following the download link from that page) and it worked for downloading the PDF.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I sent a PM to Enrico earlier today, asking him to take a look at this thread if he had missed it.

Michael61, check also whether access to the website is maybe blocked by your firewall. On my system, to access http://www.savazzi.net/dp.htm I have to disable MalWareBytes.

--Rik

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

I am the book author, and I had one previous record of a customer unable to download the files. Unfortunately I did not hear from him/her again, so I was not able to identify the problem.

A first thing to try is to access the download page with the alternative address:
http://savazzi.freehostia.com/dp.htm
If this works, the problem likely lies with a local firewall refusing to redirect the browser from www.savazzi.net (the domain name I own) to my actual web site on freehostia.

If this still does not work, PM me and I can provide an alternative download link (on a slow home broadband connection, so I would rather keep this solution as an emergency one if everything else fails).

If anyone is willing to host the PDF files on a public-access server, I am more than willing to allow this. The files can be freely distributed in their original form, with the only restriction that no one is allowed to charge a fee or price for their distribution.
--ES

Michael61

Post by Michael61 »

Hello Enrico,
many thanks again for sending this pdf by email.
Today I tried the link mentioned above again on a computer outsite of the campus and it works. That's amazing, because the homepage of freehostia.com was not rejected by the firewall of our university.

Greetings
Michael

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

I just ordered a hardback copy from LULU ... Looking forward to reading the book.

Best wishes

dunk
And now for something completely different.

enricosavazzi

20% additional discount on Lulu

Post by enricosavazzi »

I just became aware that there is a temporary 20% discount on orders to Lulu.com. This is in addition to the permanent 20% discount on my book "Digital photography for science", although the total discount will probably be less than 40% (more likely 36%). If the total order exceeds 400 US$, the temporary discount is 25%. Good until October 28, 2011. Details on www.lulu.com .

On a separate note, I checked the preview of my book on Amazon.com, and it included almost half of the book (it was initially restricted to perhaps 10% of the book). Time to check out this preview if you only need the book to get a few quick answers.
--ES

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

The LULU discounted price for UK buyers for the hardcover edition, after applying the latest 20% offer, is £71.97 plus £7.99 shipping. This compares very favourably with the Amazon UK price of £135.50. I cannot find the extended Amazon review? My copy will be arriving today.

Best wishes

dunk

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

dunksargent wrote:(...)
I cannot find the extended Amazon review? My copy will be arriving today.
dunk
On an Amazon web site, search for the book (e.g. by title), then click the book cover to open the preview pop-up. Check the table of contents (available parts have active links, but some pages may still be missing here and there).
--ES

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

enricosavazzi wrote:
dunksargent wrote:(...)
I cannot find the extended Amazon review? My copy will be arriving today.
dunk
On an Amazon web site, search for the book (e.g. by title), then click the book cover to open the preview pop-up. Check the table of contents (available parts have active links, but some pages may still be missing here and there).
Ah!! I did not realise there are active links so will look again.

Thanks

dunk

enricosavazzi

A new discount on the book

Post by enricosavazzi »

Until December 14, Lulu is offering a maximum discount of 50 US$ (or 25% of the price, whichever is lower) on orders. You must specify the BUYMYBOOK305 code when ordering, and the discount is valid only for purchases from Lulu.com (not Amazon or other sources). This coupon is valid for any purchases from Lulu. The further 20% permanent discount on my book on Lulu purchases still applies, and is combined with the above coupon.
--ES

DQE

Post by DQE »

Any possibility for the book to become available in Kindle?

I assume there must a significant expense to the publisher to make things available in Kindle, above and beyond digitizing the text and photos...
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

DQE wrote:Any possibility for the book to become available in Kindle?

I assume there must a significant expense to the publisher to make things available in Kindle, above and beyond digitizing the text and photos...
Hi Phil,

for the moment, I decided not to publish in electronic format. But I have been toying with the idea of selling the PDF at low cost, or giving it away for free, once sales of the paper edition go down to a level where, economically, they no longer matter.

I have not looked into platform-specific formats because they often require quite a bit of learning and/or software tools. I am more in favor of well-established, open formats that can be used without changes on all or almost all devices.
--ES

DimitriKatsaros

Post by DimitriKatsaros »

Hello,

I was wondering... being that it's been some years since this post, if you've revisited the idea of a PDF version.

It would not only be more economical and portable, but searching the tome would be a snap! :-)

Thank you
Dimitri Katsaros

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic