Lieberkühn reflector - DIY

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AndrewC

Lieberkühn reflector - DIY

Post by AndrewC »

So this has been exercising me for some time - it isn't easy to make a nice large diameter, but short focal length, parabolic mirror and no-one seems to want to sell the kosher Olympus original on eBay.

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... ctors.html

Still, while looking for toys I came across Mirascopes:

http://www.physlink.com/estore/cart/3DMirascope.cfm

Perfect ! The focal length is about 30-40mm (hard to judge exactly, but if you hold it in front of your face with your back to a light, you can bring it closer and closer until your nose jumps into focus and is perfectly illuminated, then just measure nose to bowl !). Mounting to the Olympus 38mm turned out to be easy - i had some Silicone radiator hose which was just the right ID to snugly fit over the front of the lens. So I cut a hole in the bottom of the reflector bowl (same size as the original) epoxied about 15mm of hose onto the back of the bowl and there I had it.

Lighting: originally tried directing strobes from behind the subject at the bowl but found the light too directional, tried diffusing them with not much improvement but then decided to "retrobounce" them off a sheet of white foam. Worked perfectly.

So here's the setup from plan view and also looking back into the reflector, and finally my favourite "I'm too shiny for my shot" beetle. Note: no other techniques used - no polarizer, no HDR, no diffusion tube around the subject.

(ps: bonus points for the first person to get the not very good musical reference !)

rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Right Said Fred 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39YUXIKrOFk

Reading your post with interest Andrew :wink:

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

elf

Post by elf »

Nice find. I have one on the way :)

Can you take a picture of a shiny sphere so we can analyze what's getting reflected where?

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Craig Gerard wrote:Right Said Fred 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39YUXIKrOFk

Reading your post with interest Andrew :wink:

Craig
You win :)

Elf: I'll see if I can find an appropriate shiny sphere.
rgds, Andrew

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Andrew, I am also reading with interest, and, as always, admire your craftsmanship. This Lieberkühn reflector works great!

--Betty

Peter M. Macdonald

Post by Peter M. Macdonald »

Andrew,

Looks good. These reflectors are nice and cheap too. Post from the USA though is $36.75 - about six times the price of the reflector! However, there seems to be a number of sellers of these on ebay in both the UK and in Germany. Could well be finding its way onto my Christmas list.

Peter

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Peter M. Macdonald wrote:Andrew,

Looks good. These reflectors are nice and cheap too. Post from the USA though is $36.75 - about six times the price of the reflector! However, there seems to be a number of sellers of these on ebay in both the UK and in Germany. Could well be finding its way onto my Christmas list.

Peter
Yes, mine came to Belgium from eBay in the UK for under a tenner :)
rgds, Andrew

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

elf wrote:Nice find. I have one on the way :)

Can you take a picture of a shiny sphere so we can analyze what's getting reflected where?
Scoured the house for a suitable size subject but the best I've got is a 10mm diameter chromed ball bearing which is a bit big for this setup - I'll get a 5mm ball bearing for future tests. Anyway, here are a some stacks showing how it behaves. The ball bearing is about 50mm in front of a light baffle, front face of which is normally covered with black flocking.

1) Top half of the sphere, aligned with the optical axis in line with the sphere. The black square is the ghost image of the optical baffle blocking direct illumination of the subject.

2) Middle of the sphere

3) Sphere displaced a fewl mm's to the left.

4) Front face of baffle with white surface - you can see the shadow (?) of the subject+mount

5) front face of baffle with a mirror surface - hmmm, not what I expected but you are maybe now seeing the entrance pupil of the lens/reflector + baffle + ???

Note the optical baffle ghost remains exactly centred, the subject and baffle were moved together - interesting ray tracing exercise for those interested - planar field reflected of a parabola and then reflected back again off a sphere.

Conclusions: lovely uniform illumination which shows surface texture ( :) ), amazing how rough what the eye perceives as a flat surface actually is.

White baffle:

Mirror baffle:

rgds, Andrew

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I'm not happy that I understand what's going on here.
I thought the focal length of the reflector would be significant - presumed that was why Oly have two different reflectors. But you're getting much the same results with a white diffuser (that's like a paper cone in place of the concave mirror, right??) which suggests to me it's basically just scattering the light.
Oly's drawing is a bit rough but suggests to me that the reflected rays would come to a focus (bounced off the subject) at the front of the lens somewhere - could it even be the entrance pupil? Would that remove the "black hole"?

But Oly's reflectors are "semi-matte" anyway :?

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

ChrisR wrote:I'm not happy that I understand what's going on here.
I thought the focal length of the reflector would be significant - presumed that was why Oly have two different reflectors. But you're getting much the same results with a white diffuser (that's like a paper cone in place of the concave mirror, right??) which suggests to me it's basically just scattering the light.
Oly's drawing is a bit rough but suggests to me that the reflected rays would come to a focus (bounced off the subject) at the front of the lens somewhere - could it even be the entrance pupil? Would that remove the "black hole"?

What I refer to as the "baffle" is what microscopists might refer to as the interrupter plate:

Yes, according to the description the Olympus plates are semi-matte but right now I'm not going to sacrifice mine by taking the shine off it !

These particular bowls do bring light to a pretty sharp focus so yes they need to match a particular lens, i just got lucky :) I do have a fiendish plan for the other half of the bowl which would involve aligning it above a subject and positioning the light source below the subject. I need to make some careful cuts to modify the bowl to do this so that will be next week's project.
rgds, Andrew

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisR wrote:I'm not happy that I understand what's going on here.

Adding some detail to Andrew's answer...

First, about the black hole. Nothing will remove the black hole except light that comes from the lens itself, or appears to as seen by the subject. That requires a partially reflective mirror someplace in the system. No matter how cleverly you shine light around the lens, a mirrored surface in front of the lens will stubbornly persist in reflecting the lens back to itself. If there's no light coming from that direction, then there's no light going back to it either, hence the black hole.

Now, about the reflector.

Imagine an idealized system in which the illumination comes from behind the subject in perfectly parallel rays and bounces off a perfectly shiny and perfectly parabolic reflector. The illumination pattern at the focus of the reflector would then be a tiny point, no bigger than the Airy disk of the diffraction pattern implied by the f-number of the reflector. This would not be very useful! So what to do, what to do? One option is to simply defocus the reflector, essentially putting the subject in front of or behind that useless focus point. That's better, but still each small area on the subject sees light coming from only one direction, not ideal for avoiding spurious effects such as those shown HERE.

So, maybe it's better to mix things up a little. There are two ways to do that. One way is to mix up the light rays that hit the reflector. Andrew's system does that, courtesy that diffuse reflector that the flashes shine on. The other way is to make the reflector at least a bit diffusive. If each little chunk of reflector scatters rays across the whole subject, then each little chunk of the subject sees light coming from the whole reflector. That's what the Olympus reflector does.

There's kind of a threshold effect. Once you have enough diffusion in the reflector (or the light source) so that each part of the subject sees light coming from the whole reflector, then adding more diffusion doesn't change the quality of the light, it just cuts the efficiency. If you have enough light to make up for the lost efficiency, there's nothing at all wrong with a paper cone.

--Rik

Bob^3

Post by Bob^3 »

Andrew,

Very creative implementation of the Lieberkühn Reflector. I really like the way this lighting method, as you say, enhances surface texture in the subject. And thanks for posting the link to the Mirascope reflector. I’ve also ordered one.
AndrewC wrote:(snip) The black square is the ghost image of the optical baffle blocking direct illumination of the subject.
I realize you’ve probably already thought of this. And I know the reason for the baffle is to block direct, on axis, light from the source from entering the lens, which would likely result in flare. But I wonder if the baffle could be made smaller and still function well for this purpose, while allowing more light to be directed to the reflector? I picture a circular disc baffle suspended behind the subject supported by a thin dowel (or bonded to a vertical clear or slightly diffused glass plate), which might allow light to fall on most of the outer diameter of the reflector?

If this is not practical, how about tilting the reflector so that it points somewhat upward or to the side so that light from the source could be reflected off of the entire surface onto the subject? With the current reflector, this would require placing the hole for the lens somewhat off center (proportional to the tilt angle) and would result in an asymmetrical spot projected on the subject. But since the intention for this application is to project a diffused, unfocused spot on the subject, more light coming from the entire reflector surface might be worth the trade off? Another option for this would be to use an asymmetrical parabolic reflector designed to focus off-axis light into a symmetrical spot.

These modifications would not solve the “black hole” effect due to the lens that Rik described. And perhaps this is all overkill for this application, but it’s fun to think about!
Bob in Orange County, CA

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

You've probably thought of this too - (unless I'm wrong of course) the hole in the mirror would best be just big enough not to clip the cone of rays between the subject and the glass (front element), and
the baffle would only need to be big enough to make a shadow just bigger than the glass. (That's wot he ^ said! :wink: )
If you sketch in the cone, it's almost cylindrical, because the glass is about the same size as the bug. So if you had a longer focal length parabola, your black hole would be further away, so appear smaller.

If you had a point source for your illumination ( I used to use a slide projector) the baffle would be near the same size as the glass, but with a big source which you have, the baffle would need to be a bit bigger. So if you do your diffusing at the mirror, you get a smaller but sharper shadow.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Baffle size: not something I've studied yet but certainly thought about. There is undoubtedly a sweet spot relating relative sizes and positioning of light source, baffle size and subject. Simple geometry :) The other thought I had was of using a translucent background (coloured filter gel). Lot's of fun to be had :)
rgds, Andrew

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

When using that slide projector... I put slides in the projector :) and used a frosted plastic A4 wallet thing as a rear projection screen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic