Nikon Optiphot questions

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

qanunji

Nikon Optiphot questions

Post by qanunji »

Hello,
I mostly own Olympus gear, but that one was so cheap that I couldn't skip it :D
Anyway, everything is fine after some adjustments, BF, DF, POL & DIC works great.
I do have some questions though-
1. In the literature, they mention the U-EPI adapter (which I don't have), is it just for the vertical illuminator support on longer models?
2. I got with it another head (labeled TC), that doesn't seem to fit. Did Nikon made this on purpose?
3. Am I correct that the CFD eyepieces are better corrected than the CFW?
4. The 10x DIC prism also states 100x, is it for both?

Thanks,
Ariel

Scarodactyl

Re: Nikon Optiphot questions

Post by Scarodactyl »

The cfd eyepieces are super rare, and better corrected than the cfws. I have only seen them in literature, never for sale. Still, there are chinese 23.2mm 10x/22 eyepieces that work well on the optiphot and have a wider FoV available for about 50usd/pair which are also worth trying. If you like the chinese ones better you can probably get a bundle for the cfds.
Nikon -phot era finite heads should all be interchangeable, but they did make some infinity-corrected heads for lster optiphots. Is the dovetail too big on the TC head? It sure looks like a finite head.
The 10x/100x prism is for both, yes.
That's a very nice scope!

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

I just lucked upon a pair of CFD 10x's on eBay a few weeks ago. Just tried them out with my CFN Plan Fluor objectives. Very clean all the way to edge of the field. Clearly better than the CFWs, but the difference isn't so big that it blows you away. Still very happy I picked them up, I've been looking for a pair for many years without finding a single pair for sale.

Super nice scope, should be a pleasure to use.

qanunji

Post by qanunji »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:59 am
The cfd eyepieces are super rare, and better corrected than the cfws. I have only seen them in literature, never for sale. Still, there are chinese 23.2mm 10x/22 eyepieces that work well on the optiphot and have a wider FoV available for about 50usd/pair which are also worth trying. If you like the chinese ones better you can probably get a bundle for the cfds.
Nikon -phot era finite heads should all be interchangeable, but they did make some infinity-corrected heads for lster optiphots. Is the dovetail too big on the TC head? It sure looks like a finite head.
The 10x/100x prism is for both, yes.
That's a very nice scope!
Thanks, Ill test them 1st against the CFW.
Yes, the TC is a few mm' bigger.
By the way, I stuck one of the eyepieces in the port, for checking distance to sensor compatibility,
and to my surprise, the camera sits parfocal in the original place (more or less), as if the eyepiece acts as a relay lens. is that make sense?

qanunji

Post by qanunji »

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:51 am
I just lucked upon a pair of CFD 10x's on eBay a few weeks ago. Just tried them out with my CFN Plan Fluor objectives. Very clean all the way to edge of the field. Clearly better than the CFWs, but the difference isn't so big that it blows you away. Still very happy I picked them up, I've been looking for a pair for many years without finding a single pair for sale.

Super nice scope, should be a pleasure to use.
Thanks victor

blekenbleu

Post by blekenbleu »

qanunji wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:16 am
Yes, the TC is a few mm' bigger.
Here is a Tc head on a Metaphot:
Metaphot objective-to-head flange distance is about 73mm and expects 210mm objectives.
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, and EPIStar 2571
https://blekenbleu.github.io/microscope

blekenbleu

Post by blekenbleu »

Optiphot/Labophot objective-to-head flange is about 53mm (for 160mm objectives)
and 103mm with a vertical illuminator, when using 210mm tube length objectives.
A Tc head makes up that 30mm difference to be parfocal on Metaphot with 210mm objectives
and would yield tube lengths 30mm too long if installed on those newer microscopes.
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, and EPIStar 2571
https://blekenbleu.github.io/microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic