Technique to photograph diatoms

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: ChrisR, Chris S., Pau, rjlittlefield

Macro_Cosmos

Technique to photograph diatoms

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I documented my journey to obtain high quality diatom photos as a side project. I finally acquired something I deem worthy for a showcase.
ImageDiatoms: Cocconeis Ver. 2 by Macro Cosmos Microscopy, on Flickr

The methods are shared in my blog post here: https://macrocosmosblog.wordpress.com/2 ... g-journey/

Many hours went into this one image, I can't imagine how long it will take to get one of those larger arrangements photographed to the same standard.

Thanks!

viktor j nilsson

Re: Technique to photograph diatoms

Post by viktor j nilsson »

That photograph is great! I'm kind of in a similar boat, although I'm a couple of decades behind, as I'm collecting PlanApo objectives for my 1970's Vanox. But I'm also just beginning to learn to use those objectives to their full potential. Inspiriting post!

Macro_Cosmos

Re: Technique to photograph diatoms

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:53 am
That photograph is great! I'm kind of in a similar boat, although I'm a couple of decades behind, as I'm collecting PlanApo objectives for my 1970's Vanox. But I'm also just beginning to learn to use those objectives to their full potential. Inspiriting post!
Thank you! It's at least 80% technique when it comes to this stuff, as my article demonstrates that lower NA achromats are far easier to work with. Take a stack, then make the stack, results are great, minimal retouching and really minimal effort. Those PlanApos will work out nicely for sure. I've seen amazing photos coming from finite systems.

If anyone can give me advice for further improvements, that will be greatly appreciated! :D
Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic