Pillars of Hercules

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

75RR

Pillars of Hercules

Post by 75RR »

Image (taken in the evening) is of the marina where I collect the majority of my marine samples.
Note the Pillars of Hercules in the distance - Jebel Musa (Morocco) and the Rock of Gibraltar (Europe)

I do this by pulling up the ropes that are tied to buoys, small boats or simply left dangling in the water and pick the seaweed that grows on them.
I try to pick a variety of seaweeds as it increases the chances of finding a wider selection of things to see and photograph.

If one wants a sample to last several days (sea samples go off and become quite smelly rather quickly) then one must resist the impulse to place too much seaweed in the sample jar.
You want to have a large water to algae ratio.

To transfer the inhabitants of the seaweed sample on to the slide, I pick up a small amount of seaweed with pincers (one sometimes has to first pull apart the seaweed with two pincers) and tap it lightly a couple of times on the slide. This not only places the animalcules on the slide but also places sufficient water for the cover slip.
It is important to avoid depositing any large pieces of detritus on the slide (i.e. just about anything visible to the naked eye) as this prevents the successful use of high magnification objectives.
Attachments
Gibraltar and Jebel Musa - The pillars of Hercules.jpg
Zeiss Standard WL & Wild M8
Olympus E-p2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

houstontx

Re: Pillars of Hercules

Post by houstontx »

Awesome view, I've been to Gibraltr once before...

Of all the places I've lived was always about 2 hrs from the ocean...had to stuff a 50mL centrifuge tube as full as I can of...everything. Not getting too greedy seems to be the key...never had the luxury of going back every day. Wife never did like a fridge full of seawater samples... Lucky you...

Trip to Cannon Beach OR soon...I will try your method then.

75RR

Re: Pillars of Hercules

Post by 75RR »

Hi houstontx,
Collected another sample jar today to give a better idea of the algae/water ratio. Ex-Olive Jar is 11.5cm by 7.5cm (Fits in car cup holder)
I don't keep it in the sun, that was just for the photo :)
I keep it in my room, temp around 18C˚ during the day, down to 10C˚ at night at the moment, lasts for several days (as in 7+)
Attachments
algae sample jar.jpg
Zeiss Standard WL & Wild M8
Olympus E-p2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic