Hello from Ontario

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

fwwidall

Hello from Ontario

Post by fwwidall »

Hi all,

I'm Fred from Waterloo, Ontario.

I'm a keen photographer with a growing interest in extreme macro photography which has led me to this incredible place. I've been reading the postings here, and on various member's websites for a while now, so I thought it was about time I registered and said "Thank you" for this great resource.

My macro photography of the past few years has mostly been of snow crystals. Living here in southern Ontario we get lots of snow, and I'd much rather photograph it than shovel it.

From many years I just used a reversed 50mm lens on a bellows attached to my DSLR but then moved onto using reversed enlarger lenses. After much reading I'm now using microscope objectives - an Amscope 4X and a Nikon 10X achromatic conjugate from Edmund Optics. I use a microscope base for fine focusing and mount everything on a wooden copy stand I built.

Here's a recent example with the Nikon objective.

Come spring I'd like to explore other macro subjects and this is the place to learn....

Sports photography has been my other main interest. I worked at a local University and shot as many of their collegiate games as I could get to. Plus, I had two grandsons in minor hockey (pre-covid!) and I photographed and videoed lots of their games over the years. I think I have over 200 highlight videos on Youtube :D

Thanks again,

Fred.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Ontario

Post by rjlittlefield »

Fred, welcome aboard! That's an excellent snowflake image.

I watched a bit of one hockey video. If your grandsons can hang with those guys, they skate waaay better than I ever could.

--Rik

fwwidall

Re: Hello from Ontario

Post by fwwidall »

Rik,

Thanks for the welcome and your kind comment . Snow crystals never fail to amaze and delight me with their awesome beauty. I'm pretty happy with my images but of course, there's always room to learn and improve. That's why I'm here :D

Glad you liked the hockey video. They were definitely dedicated and talented athletes. I'm sure what they learned about teamwork, hard work, handling victories and defeats will serve them well into their adult lives.

Thanks again,

Fred.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic