Howdy howdy howdy from an amateur's amateur

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

barryjyoung

Howdy howdy howdy from an amateur's amateur

Post by barryjyoung »

Hey!

Thanks for having me. I just spent five minutes just reading the titles on the forums. Whoooo doggy, I have a LOT of learning to do. My friends all think I am some sort of microscopist, but after visiting here a short time, I see that there is a long, long, long way to go.

The equipment list here at the Young Ranch is pretty weak. Nothing like what I have assumed is some real gems you guys have. My humble collection consists of three Leitz Ortholux stands, one of which is Petrographic with an Ultropak, A Reichert Zetopan, and two wimpy Zeiss stereo microscopes. I also have a very old American Optical microtome. I got two blades with the microtome and thought "I will have a sharp blade while the other blade is out for sharpening, oh what a clever lad I am". Then I found out how much it is to sharpen those blades. Oh boy! So I bought a microtome blade sharpening machine to roll my own. Hopefully at some point I will be offering microtome blade sharpening at a reasonable rate. I have dedicated my old Sony A57 camera to microscope duty. It does a great job. One of the Ortholux stands is equipped with a 9x12cm Reichert camera. I will probably try it out sometime. Having a photo lab in the house is handy.

Anyhoo, it looks like a good group to me, and I am ready to learn from you.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company
YouTube channel "Crusty Old Machinist"
Tacoma, WA
Endeavor to persevere:
Lone Waite

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

Hello Barry.
Welcome aboard.
Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
:D

Harald

Post by Harald »

Hi Barry,
Welcome to the forum.
This is a great place to learn, a lot of knowledge in here.
Remember, there is no bad or silly questions, just questions.
I have learned a lot from this clever guys

Looking forward to see your work :D

All the best from Norway
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Thank you Herald. I appreciate the welcome.
Endeavor to persevere:
Lone Waite

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic