Hi from Lancs UK

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris Dee

Hi from Lancs UK

Post by Chris Dee »

Hello everyone. As a casual amateur photographer I recently bought this old GS (Gillett & Sibert) microscope, hoping to explore the world of very tiny things (on a limited budget).

I set myself a £100 limit and wasn't taken by the new scopes available at that price so opted for second hand. I used GS scopes at Uni' many years ago, nothing special but well made. Bought this one for £50 expecting it would need some work, to my surprise its fully functional with clean optics but didn't have a 4x objective. A bit of shopping around got me a NOS Bresser 4x plan achromat which I'm hoping will be good enough to start learning insect anatomy photography etc. The illumination is a somewhat dim incandescent bulb and I've already started testing some LED replacement ideas and dimming circuits. I'm very rusty on microscopy, thank you all in advance for any help you might offer, I'll no doubt need it. :)

grgh

Post by grgh »

Welcome Chris

As a fellow Lancs member, hope you soon come to enjoy yourself in your new hobby,

there is a very good FaQ listing on site and you may find a lot of ideas ref your lighting.
when all else fails look at the small led torches in supermarkets, for a few pounds, you can have a very nice stop-gap.

George
used to do astronomy.
and photography.
Zeiss Universal Phase contrast.
Zeiss PMII
B&L stereo zoom.

Chris Dee

Post by Chris Dee »

Thanks for the welcome George. I've read the FAQ (and many useful member postings here which also sparked my interest). After experimenting with several LED's and diffusion materials I'm almost there. Will post details once I've completed the mount and PCB.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic