Learning Illustration

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Yawns

Learning Illustration

Post by Yawns »

For 2018 I decided to learn a new skill ... and since Affinity Designer looks so powerful and affordable I decided to learn Illustration .. I'm following the tutorials one by one.

Even if I did not go further of the introduction section yet it's already good entertainment ...

To practice I started to design all the "macro" pieces and parts I have around ..

I'm taking measures and trying to do every element proportional and with a common scale .. this way the several parts "click" perfectly and the "assemblings" look more credible ...

Since every tiny bit is a separate element and layer, later when I get more knowledge and skill I will be able to go back to the designs and make refinements ...

Every design can be copy - pasted to new documents, so after having all the parts designed , making illustrations of whatver is like to click lego pieces..

Hopefully I will have the patience to persevere and learn how to do this in Isometric perspective or something like that.

a blue square is a centimeter , a yellow one is a milimetre

Only "flat" 2D so far

The basic shapes are easy .. refinements are quite time consuming .. like rounding corners, adding shadows ...

After the "wiring" is done, it is like painting by numbers.

4 pieces copied - pasted and assembled ..

:) .. great to make "logos" and picture watermarks too.
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Antonio, thanks for sharing this. You've done some very nice work! :D (And you've been using this software for only about two weeks???)

Affinity Designer was not previously on my radar screen. I have a hunt-and-peck relationship with Adobe Illustrator, which of course is another vector-based illustration program. Must admit I've found it intensely frustrating, though this may simply be the inevitable result of forcing my raster-familiar brain into a vector world.

Wouldn't it be great to have an open-source library of vector-based illustrations of macro hardware, full of images such as you've presented here? Such a thing might be very useful in designing or explaining macro setups.

Question: Can one use an Affinity Designer file as the basis of CAD?

--Chris

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Hello thank you for your reply ...

I moved from Photoshop to Afiinity Photo .. and I liked Affinity Photo so much and it's so affordable I had a look on Afinnity designer too.. and got hooked..

Affinity has a very nice thing .. besides you get a powerful software for a fraction of Adobe Products you also get for free a very clever "manual" .. they have a large number of very well done instructional videos, all in one page and organized like a manual index ... so for peanuts we also get a basic / intermediate designer course .. it's very easy to learn following the videos in order ...

the videos are here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index. ... orials-70/

"... quoting.. you said ...... Such a thing might be very useful in designing or explaining macro setups.

yes, it was my main idea... I don't know much but I know the basics of macro and photostacking, and I like to help people on Facebook and other forums more "casual" than this one... sometimes is very frustrating to repeat things over and over everytime a new user comes with the same question... sometimes answers are not easy to give ina few lines... so I started to write some basic tutorial with photographs.. like this one

https://acmakro.weebly.com/raynox-as-tube.html

the thing is I don't have all the parts and gear necesseary to take photographs .. and that's why I started to make illustrations.. first with Pixelmator, but that one is very limited ...

Imageenlargerdesign by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

I think Affinity cannot export / import CAD files .. can't see DXF or DWG extensions in the export dialogue box... .. I guess they are working on a CAD application of their own too ..maybe then, they will make importing / exporting filters .. I don't know

JH

Post by JH »

Yawns wrote:... so I started to write some basic tutorial with photographs.. like this one

Nice tutorial
Best regards
Jörgen Hellberg
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

JH wrote:
Yawns wrote:... so I started to write some basic tutorial with photographs.. like this one

Nice tutorial
Best regards
Jörgen Hellberg
Thank you..

razashaikh

Post by razashaikh »

Great tutorial.

JOSE MIGUEL SOLA

Post by JOSE MIGUEL SOLA »

Nice.
Well, I congratulate you for showing us and I hope you enjoy it.
Regards
José Miguel Sola
Granada- Spain

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Excellent website, very clean and clear.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic