WTB Olympus Dissecting/Stereo Microscope

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

myxomop

WTB Olympus Dissecting/Stereo Microscope

Post by myxomop »

Hello PM-AM,

It's been a while. The latest of my several home labs -- hopefully the last one for a long time -- is getting more and more together, and as I create sketches for the next set of shelves, I realize that I need to account for the space taken up by the dissecting scope I have always needed and never owned. For no reasons other than brand loyalty and the psychological and aesthetic satisfaction of having "matching" equipment, I am currently looking at Olympus scopes from at or around my BH2's generation. I don't believe I can afford a true sibling for the BH2 (one of the SZH's, iinm), perhaps rather whatever the CH2 equivalent would have been among stereo scopes (the SZ#### models?). A feature I'm fond of for no particularly good reason is boom stands, maybe for the love of heavy steel and little else. I also envision keep all my tools/reagents/stains/consumables on it. If I'm not mistaken, none of what I've described comes with any of its own illumination. On this and really all matters concerning my future dissecting/stereo scope setup, I am open to suggestions.

Another option is to say the heck with Olympus and just get this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/400429192095, or something like it. My opinion is pretty evenly split here. I know the AmScope/OMAX/other cheaper Chinese brands aren't research grade, and yet I know researchers who use them with research-grade results. My hesitations lie in uncertainty about those units' durability, repairability, parts availability, and longevity.

As I browse fleabay and facebook sharketplace for used Olympus units, I am reminded that, where precision glass and mechanics are involved, this probably ought to be a purchase made from a reputable source, and so here I am. I'd say my budget is $500, but deep down, I know I would spend up to $1000 if the perfect setup came along. Once everything's purchased/assembled/constructed, and I catch up on a half a million different things, I heartily look forward to relearning the basics of light microscopy and photomicrography (with this community's incomparable guidance, of course).

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-myxomop (Danny)

PS: the struggle for a freezing microtome continues here: https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=44480
MACRO:
Olympus OM-D E-M1X, Olympus M.Zuiko 30mm f/3.5 ED, OM SYSTEM M.Zuiko Digital ED 90mm F3.5 Macro IS PRO, Gitzo GT2540EX Tripod, Acratech GV2 Ballhead, 2x Ulanzi VL49 Rechargeable Mini LED Lights, Ulanzi LED Full-Color Photography Light Wand

MICRO:
Trinocular Olympus BHS, SPlan 4x, 10x, 20x, 40x (1.25 N.A.), SPlanApo 100x Oil (1.4 N.A.), BH2-AAC Aplanatic-Achromatic 1.4 N.A Brightfield Condenser, WHK 10x 20 L Eyepieces, NFK 2.5× LD 125 Photo Eyepiece, Diagnostic Instruments PA1-10A SLR Camera Adapter, Canon 6D

Pau
Site Admin

Re: WTB Olympus Dissecting/Stereo Microscope

Post by Pau »

Hi Danny,

I respect your preferences, although I don't understand well the boom stand one if not needed: more space occupied, lots of weight and less stability.

There are many used good stereos like compounds, no need of research grade last models although a decent one with at least 50X (with 10X eyepieces) is to be recommended.
Another option is to say the heck with Olympus and just get this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/400429192095, or something like it.
This one is very low powered low school grade I'd say. There are very decent Chinese zoom models but of higher specification.
Pau

Alan Wood

Post by Alan Wood »

Hi Danny

I am happy with my trinocular Olympus SZ4045, which uses the same photo eyepieces and Photomicro Adapter L as my BH-2.

http://alanwood.net/downloads/olympus-s ... ochure.pdf

http://alanwood.net/downloads/olympus-s ... ctions.pdf

I bought it on eBay and it did not come with any illumination. I use a 144 LED ring-light for reflected light, and a 100 mm LED stage plate for occasional transmitted light.

You will need a VERY strong shelf if you want to put an Olympus boom stand on it.

Chinese stereos have improved a lot, but I have not had a chance to compare one with my Olympus.

Alan Wood

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

The sz4045 is a wonderful stereo and based on the one I've gotten to handle I highly recommend it.
The szh/szh10 are not exacrly strictly better than the sz series, they're different. The szh has more features and expandibility but it's aimed at research--shorter working distance, higher res, different 3d effect due to being cmo vs greenough. If your goal is really dissection type stuff the szh is too much scope imo.
The sz4045 is a standard 76mm diameter so you can use it with any standard boom stand or flex arm.

ldflan

Post by ldflan »

FWIW, I've had an AmScope 15x zoom on a (large) boom since 2017 or so. $500 or thereabouts new. I love it, actually. Really a very competent machine. It's not Leitz optics or anything, but for me it's a tool for working on stuff, not for imaging or admiring stuff. It sits on a dedicated table with a work / dissecting space beside it. For illumination I have a two-arm fiber optic illuminator (halogen, University surplus) and another similar contraption with a ring light. I find ring lighting nasty and avoid it, and it would definitely not be my first choice. I worry that others will have treated their dissecting scopes as I do mine - like a rather tough and potentially even sacrificial tool - and so I have avoided the used market for high end scopes in this department... So I can't comment on the advisability of going the used route...

Oh - can I ask why the freezing microtome for fungi?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic