Polaroid land camera and stand

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Marci Hess

Polaroid land camera and stand

Post by Marci Hess »

Hi All,

I've inherited a Polaroid MP4 land camera 44-01 and stand. It also has a variety of lenses. Would this be of interest to anyone?

Marci
Marci Hess
Blanchardville, WI
www.driftlessprairies.org

Pizzazz

Re: Polaroid land camera and stand

Post by Pizzazz »

hi

send photos to rmwmacro@gmail.com

Marci Hess

Post by Marci Hess »

Will get those to you today!
Marci Hess
Blanchardville, WI
www.driftlessprairies.org

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

FWIW, the Polaroid MP4 makes a fine camera/copy stand once the 4x5" Polaroid slider is replaced with either the factory or an easily-made camera holder. One could also easily use it for afocal work above a microscope - separating the camera from the scope to eliminate most vibration.

Have no idea if some of the original lenses, reversed, are any good for macro work.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

PeteM wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:05 pm
[...]
Have no idea if some of the original lenses, reversed, are any good for macro work.
The Polaroid MP4 manual PDF on my site may be of help: http://www.savazzi.net/download/manuals ... nd_use.pdf .

Of the Tominon lenses that usually accompanied the MP4, the 35 mm f/4.5 is probably the most useful for photomacrography today, followed by the 17 mm f/4. However, lens speed is a bit on the low side. See for example https://www.closeuphotography.com/tomin ... -35mm-lens . These lenses are for relatively high magnification, and should not be reversed.

The 50, 75, 105 and 135 mm are not so exciting for use with modern cameras, and a good macro lens for SLR/DSLR can provide a similar or better IQ. Contrast tends to be low because of the legacy lens coatings and lack of adequate lens shades.
--ES

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

enricosavazzi wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:50 am

The 50, 75, 105 and 135 mm are not so exciting for use with modern cameras, and a good macro lens for SLR/DSLR can provide a similar or better IQ. Contrast tends to be low because of the legacy lens coatings and lack of adequate lens shades.
I've had excellent results from the 50mm, and very good results from 75mm. The 50mm in fact is a very good lens for 1:2-2:1, with large coverage and good sharpness. From what I can tell it is a symmetric design, though I think it was intended for medium mags in the MP4 system. I do see some variation between copies I've owned. The 75mm is a decent performer up to 2:1. Both are obviously limited by their max apertures but IMO they are under-appreciate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic