WTB - Nikon Objectives

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Tecumseh

WTB - Nikon Objectives

Post by Tecumseh »

I'm simply wanting to try doing this type of macro. So any would be good, but preferably the 10X Plan. And accompanying adapters for Nikon lenses.
Thanks for your help.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Tecumseh,

As you may know, microscope objectives come in two broad design types: Finite and infinite. I recall that you have a Nikon PB-6 bellows. You can mount finite microscope objectives directly on your bellows without additional optics. Good 10x finite options include the Nikon M Plan 10x/0.25 and (better) the Nikon N Plan 10x/0.30.

The other broad group of objectives encompasses those of infinite design. These cannot be mounted on a bellows alone, but require a second lens to "converge" the output rays of the objective. While this arrangement may sound difficult, it's actually pretty easy. The converging lens is often called a "tube lens." This can be a Raynox close-up lens, a 200mm (or sometimes shorter) prime, or a zoom lens with a maximum focal length close to 200mm.

Are you looking for finite objectives, infinite objectives, or either? At 10x, both finite and infinite regimes can work very well, if you have the right components to go with the objective. Neither is inherently better than the other--it is a question of what auxiliary equipment you want to use with the objective.

You are probably familiar with FAQ: How can I hook a microscope objective to my camera? But if not, it includes a good explanation of the difference between finite and infinite objectives.

Cheers,

--Chris
Last edited by Chris S. on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

Chris S. wrote:Tecumseh,

As you may know, microscope objectives come in two broad types: Finite and infinite. I recall that you have a Nikon PB-6 bellows. You could use finite microscope objectives directly on your bellows without additional optics. Good 10x finite options include the Nikon M Plan 10x/0.25 and (better) the Nikon N Plan 10x/0.30.

The other broad type of objective is the group of infinite design. These cannot be mounted on a bellows alone, but require a second lens to "converge" the output rays of the objective. The converging lens is often called a "tube lens." This can be a Raynox close-up lens, a 200mm (or sometimes shorter) prime, or a zoom lens with a maximum focal length close to 200mm.

Are you looking for finite objectives, infinite objectives, or either? At 10x, both finite and infinite regimes can work very well, if you have the right components to go with the objective. Neither is inherently better than the other--it is a question of what auxiliary equipment you want to use with the objective.

Cheers,

--Chris
Good evening my good man.
Yes, I do have the PB-6. And I also own a 55-200mm Nikon DX lens for the D90. I was simply trying to replicate the pic on the FAQ's page but with a Nikon instead of Canon.http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/u ... n200_4.jpg

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Tecumseh wrote:Yes, I do have the PB-6. And I also own a 55-200mm Nikon DX lens for the D90. I was simply trying to replicate the pic on the FAQ's page but with a Nikon instead of Canon.
Tecumseh, which picture in the FAQ's do you wish to replicate?

Also, would you prefer a 10x objective to use on your bellows, or a 10x objective to use on your zoom lens?

Cheers,

--Chris

Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

Chris S. wrote:
Tecumseh wrote:Yes, I do have the PB-6. And I also own a 55-200mm Nikon DX lens for the D90. I was simply trying to replicate the pic on the FAQ's page but with a Nikon instead of Canon.
Tecumseh, which picture in the FAQ's do you wish to replicate?

Also, would you prefer a 10x objective to use on your bellows, or a 10x objective to use on your zoom lens?

Cheers,

--Chris
Chris, I would be using it primarily with the 55-200 lens. As I really would like the portability of this set up as opposed to using it with the PB-6 bellows in the field, which is unwieldy and takes a fair amount of time to set-up.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Tecumseh wrote:And I also own a 55-200mm Nikon DX lens for the D90. I was simply trying to replicate the pic on the FAQ's page but with a Nikon instead of Canon.
I have a concern about vignetting with that lens. Nikon zooms seem to be more prone to vignetting than Canon zooms are, when paired in combo with a microscope objective. Even more worrisome, that particular Nikon zoom is only rated for crop sensor (Nikon DX) while the Canon zoom is rated for full-frame (Canon EF), which also suggests more problem with vignetting.

Before planning on going that route, I would look for or ask whether anybody has experience regarding vignetting with that combo.

--Rik

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

One nice thing about Nikon cameras is the wide availability of excellent older lenses at low cost. A quick look showed me a Nikkor 200mm f/4 AI for $65 from a very reputable dealer--a link I've sent to Tecumseh via PM, in case his 55-200mm zoom vignettes. This is a lens from the film days, before autofocus. Full-frame, of course.

Getting back to Tecumseh's original question, perhaps somebody has an infinite 10x objective to sell? (BTW, Tecumseh, the Nikon CFI objectives are not all that expensive when purchased new.) I could part with a finite 10x or two, but have no spare infinites.

--Chris

jnowat

Post by jnowat »

I am currently waiting for a Mitutoyo 5x to arrive by post. I have a 4x CFI Plan and also the 10x (pictured above). I bought the former used and the latter new. I'm hoping to sell the 4x for $100 and the 10x for $200. They are both in pristine condition and always kept in their "pill bottle". The 10x has a slight nick on the metal fore end, and it arrived that way- is extremely small and I will gladly provide photos. I'm not certain that I will be needing the 10x in the near future and as for the 4x... the Mitutoyo will replace it.

I can't do you much help in the adapter side of things, unless your lens is a 52mm? Though, I do know that user jinfinance on eBay carries most of what we beginners will look for and at acceptable prices.

I had a great time with the 10x, but my subject matter which I'm trying to model in 3D is too large for it and I don't believe I will need to delve into that much detail for the time being- and when I do, I will be looking for a 10X Mitutoyo because light I need the apochromatic shots for the program to capture the detail as sharply as possible.

I have been thinking lately of posting at least the 4x here, along with the focus block with arcaswiss attachment since I've acquired the StackShot, but with transition into the new semester, life is busy. After seeing your post asking for this specific objective, I thought I would offer.

If not, no worries as I am not concerned with selling it immediately. Cheers

--AdminCS edit to add separations between paragraphs, which make reading much easier.
Canon 6D
Thorlabs ITL200 tube
Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 2X & 5X
Stackshot 3X
One hell of a project

Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

jnowat wrote:I am currently waiting for a Mitutoyo 5x to arrive by post. I have a 4x CFI Plan and also the 10x (pictured above). I bought the former used and the latter new. I'm hoping to sell the 4x for $100 and the 10x for $200. They are both in pristine condition and always kept in their "pill bottle". The 10x has a slight nick on the metal fore end, and it arrived that way- is extremely small and I will gladly provide photos. I'm not certain that I will be needing the 10x in the near future and as for the 4x... the Mitutoyo will replace it.
I can't do you much help in the adapter side of things, unless your lens is a 52mm? Though, I do know that user jinfinance on eBay carries most of what we beginners will look for and at acceptable prices.
I had a great time with the 10x, but my subject matter which I'm trying to model in 3D is too large for it and I don't believe I will need to delve into that much detail for the time being- and when I do, I will be looking for a 10X Mitutoyo because light I need the apochromatic shots for the program to capture the detail as sharply as possible.
I have been thinking lately of posting at least the 4x here, along with the focus block with arcaswiss attachment since I've acquired the StackShot, but with transition into the new semester, life is busy. After seeing your post asking for this specific objective, I thought I would offer.
If not, no worries as I am not concerned with selling it immediately. Cheers
jnowat, good looking out. I see that you're in Eureka. I'm in San Francisco. Glad to know another member from NorCal. I am also trying to buy a StackShot. Would it be possible for you to post a pic of at least the 4X along with the focus block with arca swiss attachment. I want to see what that set-up looks like.

As far as the filter diameter sizes, it would be 52mm. As I'm using the 55-200 Nikon DX lens. But, Chris S. has suggested another lens for me to consider and that lens also has 52mm. So, if your selling that objectibve with the adapter....................................................................... :smt023

jnowat

Post by jnowat »

Tecumseh,
See here for adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-CFI-M25-m ... 53e2cfcbbd

This is the exact same item I purchased, and he just shipped the adapter for the Mitutoyo I'm expecting. Notice the picture on the listing? :D

I will post a photo of the objective and the focus block hopefully before noon tomorrow.
The block is a Nikon L-IM (bought it from Korea). I'm not trying to suggest against it, but the pain of its tension-based movements were too much for me to bare, so I picked up hours at work over break and bought a StackShot off of the exchange threads here the first chance I got. I enjoyed stacking on my own with the block, but the fact that I have to get a 360-degree take- and at different latitudes (proper?)- for the 3D modeling I'm attempting pretty much rules out hand operated ventures.
The focus block was $100 with shipping, the aluminum with fab was around $35, and the arca-swiss style plate was about $25. I had students at the community college up here put on the aluminum pieces in a way that they could be removed so that the focus block was not altered... also paid them in ACE Hardware giftcards as a thank you, though they asked to do it for experience. I will be asking $125 plus shipping for it, simply because it's in good condition and ready to use, and I'll use the funds to buy a new base for the StackShot as it sits too low compared to the stage I put together. Don't let me sound like I'm pitching this to you- I don't mean to sell it right away. More than anything I'd like to make sure you understand the ups and downs of using a microscope focus block as a stacking rail, if that is what you're planning.
The day is late... or over! and I have a few things to do tomorrow. I will either edit this post with pics tonight or tomorrow. Actually trying to do a few stacks before bed to get a few more angles in.
To sum my ongoing blabbering up, I wouldn't want to sell my adapter if I still had another Nikon CFI objective- jinfinance in the link ships quick and does business well from what I've read here at PM- and you're more than welcome to the focus block as long as you're sure you want it.Image
This is how I use the block currently- simply as a platform on which to set the StackShot.
The CFI Plan 4x
And the focus block with the arca swiss adapter.
Canon 6D
Thorlabs ITL200 tube
Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 2X & 5X
Stackshot 3X
One hell of a project

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic