[SOLD] Olympus BHMJ Focus Block

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Craig Gerard

[SOLD] Olympus BHMJ Focus Block

Post by Craig Gerard »

*The item has now been [SOLD]

I am preparing to list an Olympus BHMJ focus block on eBay, but wanted to mention it here on the forum.

Images currently under preparation....

Send me a PM if interested.

The nosepiece holder can be easily removed (4 screws), but I found it useful for attaching stage plates when used with a vertical setup. The block can be post mounted, bracket mounted or you may wish to add some AS plates, rails, clamps if working with a horizontal setup.

This block is rather heavy. Shipping worldwide will be in addition to the purchase price.

Payment can be arranged via PayPal.

Throw some numbers at me. I am open to offers.

Craig

*Some older images of the focus block.

(I'm also intending to list separately the Edmund Optics 12" x 12" breadboard as is visible in the following images. The breadboard is very heavy, so this may only be of interest to Australians due to shipping costs).

Last edited by Craig Gerard on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

The BHMJ focus block may be sold, pending confirmation from the member.

If the status changes I will notify via this thread.

Craig

Rylee Isitt

Post by Rylee Isitt »

If the status changes, do let us/me know.

Is it easy to remove more than just the nosepiece holder, but also the entire part to the left (in your pictures) of focus knob? Or is that entire thing the "nosepiece holder"?

Even if it's sold, I'd be interested in that so I know if it's worth watching out for similar focus blocks in the future.

Thanks!

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Rylee Isitt wrote:Is it easy to remove more than just the nosepiece holder, but also the entire part to the left (in your pictures) of focus knob? Or is that entire thing the "nosepiece holder"?
I have a two BHMJ blocks at present, and a couple more have passed through my hands. In each case, the entire white-colored portion to the left of the vertical line (which is to the left of the focus knob) can be easily removed via a few screws. If one does this, the white-color bit that, in Craig's photos, lies to the right of that line, and protrudes slightly above the block, remains with the focus block, and constitutes the portion that moves when you change focus. It provides a solid mounting point for items you might want to attach.

Alternatively, for one of my BHMJ blocks, I cut the removable portion flat (to create a continuation of the upper vertical plane) and used that as a mounting surface. You'll see that approach here.

In either of these approaches, make sure that whatever you mount has a bit of clearance from the focus block so that it does not bind. This is not difficult.

The BHMJs are quite nice focus blocks, by the way, and are very easy to adapt to photomacrography. Buying one from Craig would be quite safe, but anyone thinking of purchasing the $499 ones currently on offer from a particular eBay vendor might want to first contact Rich Nelridge or myself, as there is a bit of unpleasant history.

--Chris

Rylee Isitt

Post by Rylee Isitt »

Sounds good. That's exactly what I'm looking for in a focus block - I tend to pamper my gear to the point where irreversible modifications are something I do only as a last resort. Knowing that the nosepiece collar and adjoining white bit is easy to remove is great news.

If this one has sold, as least now I know what to look for, which is an improvement over yesterday! :)

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Chris,

Thankyou for responding to Rylee's question :)

Rylee,

Another member has shown interest in the item, but is based in Europe and most likely sleeping at the moment. Officially the item remains unsold, so an offer is not out of the question. I just wanted to inform members of the current status with due consideration of the initial offer/discussions.

Here is another image of a different block (this one now lives in Switzerland) which may demonstrate your requirements.

I'll be uploading some recent images after I finish my lunch.

Craig

Rylee Isitt

Post by Rylee Isitt »

Hi Craig,

Yes, that image shows the removal of the piece that I'd be interested in (reversibly) removing. So it would definitely work for my purposes.

As for an offer... I have no idea where to begin. I've had a saved search running in eBay for nearly six months and have so far only seen stereo microscope blocks (no fine focus) or entire scopes. I've seen entire Nikon Labophot scopes go for less than $200, while merely pieces of other scopes have sold for far more. I have no idea what to make of that. And I don't want to insult you by giving you an offer that I pull out of the air, and may very well just be wishful thinking...

I'll let your prospective buyer have some time to hash things out with you. If things fall through, perhaps you could post what you're hoping to get for it?

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

The initial response I received could be regarded as an 'expression of interest'. Some numbers were discussed, but the item is still officially for sale.

Craig

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

The BHMJ is now officially SOLD.

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic