WTB Focus Block or Rig

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Doppler9000

WTB Focus Block or Rig

Post by Doppler9000 »

Hello,

I seek an interesting focus block, like a BHMJ or the like, or a high mag rig with a bipolar stepper built with one. Looking for one ready to go into service.

I do not want to do any cutting, degreasing, etc.

Thanks.

John

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: WTB Focus Block or Rig

Post by Chris S. »

John,

If no one can supply you with what you need immediately, or if you can afford to wait until the winter months, I should be able to supply you with something very nice. I've collected a number of microscope stands with good focus blocks, which are currently stored on shelves awaiting transformation. Toward this end, I've purchased a high-quality electric metal saw to cut the blocks out of the stands cleanly and precisely. I've gotten a drill press and metal bits for drilling holes in the blocks with which to mount Arca-standard clamps and rails (for integrating the focus block into the rest of the macro rig). I've also acquired a metal machining mill, tooling, and a belt grinder--and learned to use them--so that I can fabricate any additional plates or adapters needed. And I've designed attachments that will hold a bi-polar stepper motor to drive one of the fine-focus knobs of the focus block, likely by means of a timing belt.

My intent is to make these newly-automated, easy-to-integrate focus blocks available with the stepper motor wires terminated to work with the controller of the buyer's choice--i.e. Cognysis StackShot, WeMacro, MJKZZ, etc.

All this has taken time, and I make haste slowly. Since the original idea, several members of this forum have been waiting something like eight years for me to make this project happen--gadzooks! But I think that this winter will finally be the time when these motorized focus blocks [dubbed "The Elephants" (elephants are social and patient)] will go out the door.

But if someone can supply you sooner, go for it!

By the way, I could certainly offer you a BHMJ, or a standard block neatly cut out from a stand, immediately. But it would not yet have Arca-standard mounts on it, and it would not yet be motorized. If something like this interests you, PM me. If it would interest you now, but you might want me to upgrade it later to motorized use, I think we could work that out very easily. (Thinking a bit more, I could probably add the Arca-standard bits right now, if you'd be OK with hand-made adapters that function well but don't look like production work.)

--Chris S.

Doppler9000

Post by Doppler9000 »

Message sent.

AlisonP

Post by AlisonP »

Hi Chris, I sent you an email about this.
Myxomycete and tiny fungi photography is my passionate hobby.
Instagram: @marin_mushrooms

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic