P.ANGENIEUX G=12/6 Lens

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

P.ANGENIEUX G=12/6 Lens

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I purchased a small mixed lot of lenses, and the subject lens was one of them. The "G=12/6" is printed in red. I am not sure of the original purpose of this lens, but it seems to have high resolution and a big image circle. Is it a g-line stepper lens? Anyone with ideas let me know. The lens looks identical to this one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333597340319

Lou Jost

Re: P.ANGENIEUX G=12/6 Lens

Post by Lou Jost »

Wow, that is a weird lens. The company is famous for high quality cine lenses, but that sure does look like a stepper lens. The fact that there is no diaphragm or means of focus also suggests a stepper lens. The notation "G=12/6" doesn't seem like a good way to indicate the g-line though; if it were, I'd imagine the number on the right would be the wavelength, not that fraction. But the huge finely threaded section surely indicates a very high-precision application.

Sym P. le

Post by Sym P. le »

per Googl Translate : Magnification (English) -> Grossissement (French)

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Thanks, that is the answer! Wonder why there are two numbers though

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Sym P. le wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:58 pm
per Googl Translate : Magnification (English) -> Grossissement (French)
Thanks! The 12/6 seems a strange and random way to say 2:1 if indeed that's what it means. I sort of figured it might, and ran my first checks of the lens at 2x magnification. The lens performed much better in visible spectrum than if it were an optimized litho lens.

I plan to compare it with the 95PN.

Edited to add: I'm thinking the 12 and 6 may relate to the image circles in image and subject planes, 12cm and 6cm respectively. I did not measure them formally, but an informal check shows the IC is larger than anything else I have on hand.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I'm thinking the 12 and 6 may relate to the image circles in image and subject planes, 12cm and 6cm respectively.
That sounds logical. Could be a great lens.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic