Moths Of North America available as PDF files

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Moths Of North America available as PDF files

Post by rjlittlefield »

The following article appeared in the latest issue of News of The Lepidopterists' Society:
Most MONA Fascicles Now Available as Freely Downloadable PDFs!

The Wedge Entomological Research Foundation (WERF) recently completed a project to make digitally available all published Moths of America North of Mexico as PDFs with full text search capability, and is pleased to offer these for download on its website at:

http://wedgefoundation.org/publications_paypal.asp

Fascicles published prior to 2015 were physically scanned since "born digital" high resolution copies were unavailable; those fascicles are free. Born digital PDFs were available for the four most recently published fascicles (9.4 Eucosma, 2015; 9.5 Pelochrista, 2017; 22.1A Notodontidae, 2018; 25.4 Noctuidae, 2020). These four PDFs can be purchased and downloaded at a sliding discount compared to the corresponding print versions, based on the number of years since publication. For additional information please contact WERF's Managing Director, Kelly Richers (kerichers@wuesd.org).
I have a few of these fascicles in print form, purchased back when they were "hot off the press" in 1971 and 1972. But the full set would have been too expensive, so I mostly just lusted after them from afar. Comparing my print copies with the PDFs, these are easily the best scans I have ever seen. The scanned photographic plates manage to capture all the real detail that I can see in the printed copies, while totally removing the halftone screen effect. Astonishing! On quick scan, the OCR appears flawless. I have not seen such good processing even in textbooks on how to do it.

--Rik

MarkSturtevant

Re: Moths Of North America available as PDF files

Post by MarkSturtevant »

That is very interesting, and good to know.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic