Anyone knows any information about 222nm uvc light?

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Zayn

Anyone knows any information about 222nm uvc light?

Post by Zayn »

It is heard that 222nm uvc light can inactive coronavirus, but is it safe for human disinfection? Can we work under the exposure of 222nm far uv light all days?

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Anyone knows any information about 222nm uvc light?

Post by Chris S. »

Zayn, welcome to the community! :D

There is some good information from the United States Food and Drug Administration (US FDA) here: UV Lights and Lamps: Ultraviolet-C Radiation, Disinfection, and Coronavirus

Two quotes from that source:

"There have been reports of skin and eye burns resulting from improper installation of UVC lamps in rooms that humans can occupy."

"Direct exposure of skin and eyes to UVC radiation from some UVC lamps may cause painful eye injury and burn-like skin reactions. Never look directly at a UVC lamp source, even briefly."

So while UCV, such as 222nm, may be a very good source for disinfecting objects and air, I'd keep it shielded away from exposing humans or other animals. (Also, I'd want to follow up on the warning that ozone may be created, and see what, if any, mitigation must be done.)

--Chris S.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Does anyone here find UVB or UVC useful for exciting fluorescence?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I just now found a useful article about microscopy with UV light. Some of the information was new to me and may be helpful to others. For example, I had never before thought about the problems caused by using standard solvents for cleaning optics in the UV pathway.
http://klarscientific.com/uv-microscopy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic