Having trouble uploading avatar

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dragonblade

Having trouble uploading avatar

Post by dragonblade »

I'm trying to upload an image of mine as an avatar and I'm having no success at all. I note the requirements state that images can't be more than 80 x 80 pixels and 6 KiB. I haven't heard the term 'KiB' before (I assume that's referring to 'KB.') I resized my image down to 80 x 80 pixels at 72dpi and it was way too large. So I made it smaller and smaller (50 x 50 pixels, 20 x 20 pixels etc) and it's still too big. The odd thing is I haven't had this trouble before reducing file sizes of images to meet certain requirements. With this particular image, I'm having a lot of trouble getting it below 15KB. It is a jpeg image so would have a fair bit of compression which would help. Though I even tried reducing it to 10 x 10 pixels and even 5 x 5 pixels but it will not drop below 15KB. Very strange.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Having trouble uploading avatar

Post by rjlittlefield »

What's making your files too large is metadata embedded in them. Get rid of that and there should be no trouble with size.

In Photoshop, the simplest approach is to save the image using File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy).

Using GIMP, follow the instructions at https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-to ... t-want-to/ . I unchecked everything except Optimize.

Both methods generated an 80x80 JPEG in under 4 KB.

--Rik

dragonblade

Post by dragonblade »

Thank you for the instructions. I'm a Photoshop user and don't have much experience with Gimp. i have Photoshop CS4 but unfortunately, 'Save to Web' is not one of the Export options. I may have downloaded Gimp in the past. I'll have to check.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

In CS4, I believe it was File > "Save for Web & Devices", so directly under the File menu, not under Export.

--Rik

dragonblade

Post by dragonblade »

Thank you! That did the trick.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic