Query about preparation of slide for salt crystals

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dragonblade

Query about preparation of slide for salt crystals

Post by dragonblade »

I have noted that some people use salt solutions in water and allow that to evaporate on a slide. I'm hoping to do the same with samples of sea water as I live close to the beach. Hopefully, I can get some interesting crystal formations appearing under my microscope which I plan to shoot in time lapse. I haven't done this before and I'm under the assumption that you would not use a cover slip for this?

Olympusman

Re: Query about preparation of slide for salt crystals

Post by Olympusman »

When I make slides of solutions to dry out for photography, I usually put three drops on three slides, giving me nine sample. You do not need to use a cover slip. I have tried force drying with a coffee cup warmer, but I have found I get the best results letting the slides air dry on a windowsill. I have found this allows trace chemicals in the solution to find each other when the crystals form.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

dragonblade

Post by dragonblade »

Thank you for the tips. I have seen some awesome imagery of crystals from you in the gallery here. Really great work.

At first, I was thinking of leaving the slides out on an outdoor table in the backyard but I'll put them on a window sill like you suggest. Roughly how long do you reckon it will take for the water samples to evaporate? I guess this would depend on the ambient temperature.

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

I would say over night.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

dragonblade

Post by dragonblade »

Overnight? That's a long period of time. Since I'll be shooting time lapse through the microscope, I might try and leave the slide out on an outdoor table on a sunny day to speed up the evaporation. I would like to start shooting just as the water begins to evaporate and allow the camera to keep running, clicking away frames as the crystals expand.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic