Searching for image stacks for AI training

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MrTom

Searching for image stacks for AI training

Post by MrTom »

Hello,

I have an idea for an experiment. There's an AI code out there called ESRGAN, maybe some of you have heard of it. It is typically used for upscaling and can be trained for such, however some people have been more creative and tried to use it for things like colorizing black and white photos.

One thing I have noticed is that once trained, it's rather good at distinguishing between blurriness due to the low resolution and blurriness due to something being out-of-focus. This is good, but it's also a downside when the things you trained the AI with are, say, less blurry than the images you are actually trying to upscale - it will then mistake the blurriness with out-of-focus that should be preserved. Now, you could of course train it with representative footage that is blurry from the get go and have it try to fix that.

Long story short, I was thinking of going full retard and trying to train it to go from a shallow depth of field image to an image that is sharp in every part of the image. Of course this is likely impossible with anything but slight blur but I figure that just trying it might lead to interesting results and maybe make for some abstract art due to interesting side effects/artifacts resulting from feeding such an impossible task to the AI. I imagine maybe it will become some beautiful oversharpened mess, but in some special AI kind of way.

In any case, I couldn't think of any place to find good training data for such an experiment but a macro photography forum, since photography stacking seems like an ideal source for such data. Just a single stack could lead to a set of dozens or hundreds of training samples (from each source image -> target image). Do any of you have macro image stacks including the combined image that you would share for this? They don't have to be great or valuable pictures, it's really just for the technical aspect, so any discarded image set would work, as long as it wasn't discarded for technical errors. I suppose high contrast subjects would be best, but ultimately the more variety, the better. Ideally they would already be scaled and positioned so that they align in the focus plane, but worst case I'd just have to do that myself.

Cheers,
Tom

NikonUser

Re: Searching for image stacks for AI training

Post by NikonUser »

I still have the 13 images that made this final image; any use?
Attachments
Eristalis.jpg
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

jurkovicovic

Post by jurkovicovic »

I can give this:
https://mineralexpert.org/mineral-photo ... -17149.jpg
More than 30 stacked pics.
canon EOS *

MrTom

Post by MrTom »

Thanks guys, appreciate it, those seem perfectly fine. For it to work, I'll need the entire stack of images plus the result, ideallly in original resolution. Is that possible?

jurkovicovic

Post by jurkovicovic »

I have original RAW file + result in tiff format. I dont have entrance tiff images, but I can do it again easy. It depends on what you need.
Do you have any idea about data transfer?
canon EOS *

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic